Tile glued to hardwood.

Hi,

I'm thinking about installing laminate floor and started investigating our current flooring situation (moved in recently).

We have four rooms on the first floor: (1) kitchen - hardwood, plywood, and two layers of stick on tile (2nd being our current floor). (2) foyer- hardwood, plywood, and two layers of stick on tile (2nd being our current floor). (3) living room - hardwood and the stick on tile (current floor). (4) dining room - hardwood and the stick on tile (current floor).

The floor in the kitchen and foyer are about 1/4" higher than the floor in the living room and kitchen. The folks that put the flooring in cut around the baseboard triming, not really an option with laminate. To even our the floor I have to take out the existing floor (right?).

The floor in the kitchen and foyer i can easily remove using a prybar.

I have no clue how to approach The floor in the living and dining rooms. While I can get the stick on tile off the sticky substance remains on the floor. How do I go about getting this stuff off? I'm guessing by sanding, but I'm not sure.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

(BTW, I'm really interested in seeing what the hardwood beneath all this ugly stick on tile looks like. Maybe I can salvage it).

Thanks!!!!

Reply to
Jay Man

If nobody offers you a better suggestion, hardware stores stock this stuff called Goo Gone, which does an excellent job not only of removing sticky crap like chewing gum from Berber rugs, the stickum from stickers off windows, and even tarry waterproofing gunk inadvertently tracked across a Congoleum floor. This may work, except you'd have to buy a lot of it to mop across that big of a space if it does.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

sometime dry ice can get it brittle enough that a scraper will chip it off pretty easy. you may also ant to try an iron on low heat to get the tiles off and soften the adhesive!

Wayne'

Reply to
wayne

You would be best off getting a few floor refinishers to see the floor and glue and give you a bid. Natural wood is much nicer than laminates.

Reply to
m Ransley

stick on tile off the sticky substance > remains on the floor. How do I go about getting this stuff off? > Any help is greatly appriciated.

Have to share this with you but really don't think it's going to be much help. Because of a bad pipe leak in my extremely old kitchen, I decided to remodel the whole thing. I removed two layers of tile and found hardwood floor underneath. The oldest layer of tile left a glue and papery substance. Been thinking about what to do (I work slowly) when the 14 yr. old lab decides to use the kitchen floor to sick on. Numerous splats of diarrhea all over the place. Didn't find it until morning and proceeded to clean it up. Low and behold (I'm not kidding) the glue substance came up and left bare wood stripped of residue. The dog recovered so the floor remains "unfinished". Since I don't want to go through that again, I will also be watching for better suggestions. Sue Northern Wisconsin remove YOURPAWS when replying

Reply to
Susan