Tile Floor

Hello all,

Currently ripping out section of carpet and linoleum (or vinyl) flooring for later installation of (most likely) slate tile. Here is the problem...Carpet ripped out nice with only little specks of padding glued to the concrete left. I do not expect this to be a problem, however, when I ripped the linoleum out a lot of the paper backing was left glued to the concrete floor. I tried scraping it and got a few sections where the concrete is exposed maybe 5% of total space. What is anyone's advice for applying tile to this type of floor? Will it break loose? Should I spend a whole day and all the skin off of my knuckles removing the paper backing? Second question...More a matter of personal opinion but should I measure the exact center of the space and and start laying tile from there or should I run a full course of tile at the front door threshold. This would mean that the last course would have to be cut in half. The area I am doing is for my woodstove and front entry door area. Where the tile ends I will have pergo flooring and running all the courses as a full tile simply will not work. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rod M.

Reply to
rodney_morgan

There are chemical removers for just that purpose, but they might not get all of the material off. You might have to use self-levelling compound. Then put Hardi-Backer over it and use FORTIFIED thinset mortar. Fortified mortar is only buck or two more per bag, but it is well worth it.

Also, you are better off measureing your tile out and planning it beforehand. It looks awful if someone has a 1 inch peice of tile at the edge because of poor planning. Don't let this be you.

Hope that helped.

mail3277198