Tile countertop

I am thinking of putting granite tile on the countertop in my kitchen. I really don't want to remove the existing countertop. Would it be acceptable to lay cement backerboard over the exisiting formica or could I just rough up the surface and lay the granite over the formica? Also, I want a slittle grout lines as possible. What is the minimum width for the grout? Is there a trick to applying grout to granite?
Thanks
Just did tile replacement of countertops. Considered same. Overall finished thickness was too much. some formica not stable. Decided to rip out all together, used 3/4" plywood, 1/4" backerboard, and 1/4" tile. Looks good. Finished edges with combo to chair rail molding and 3/4 round to cap all edges.
DJ Sunday Home Inspection Systems Www.homeinspectionsystems.com

acceptable
slittle