Tile countertop

I am thinking of putting granite tile on the countertop in my kitchen. I really don't want to remove the existing countertop. Would it be acceptable to lay cement backerboard over the exisiting formica or could I just rough up the surface and lay the granite over the formica? Also, I want a slittle grout lines as possible. What is the minimum width for the grout? Is there a trick to applying grout to granite?

Thanks

Reply to
I-Hate-Spam

Just did tile replacement of countertops. Considered same. Overall finished thickness was too much. some formica not stable. Decided to rip out all together, used 3/4" plywood, 1/4" backerboard, and 1/4" tile. Looks good. Finished edges with combo to chair rail molding and 3/4 round to cap all edges.

DJ Sunday Home Inspection Systems

Dennis J Sunday