tile countertop

greetings, i am going to tile a kitchen island top. i will be using 1/4 inch hardi backer board on top of 3/4 inch plywood. what is the best way to secure the backer board to the plywood? should i glue it down and use screws or just screws? what type of screw should i use? should i tape the backerboard seams? finally, what depth trowel should i use for the mastic and what profile, pointy or squared. thanks, cj
Use thinset to lay the tile. Use liquid nail and drywall screws for the hardi board.
What tile are you using? Usually 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4

Backer board should be installed using screws and adhesive. I would prefer to use 1/2 inch cement board. Use a 1/4" trowel for applying the adhesive to be used for the Backer Board. I use Rock-On Cement Board Screws. Tape the seams using fibreglass tape and adhesive. I also apply a waterproof membrane to the Backer Board after it is installed. I use the Kerdi system and it works miracles.
can you give me more info on the waterproof membrane? why would i need it..i thought the backerboard was waterproof thanks, cj
Newfie wrote:

Actually backerboard and thinset are somewhat porous (depending on the brand), it's the tile and grout (sealed) that form the primary waterproof layer. For a counter, a liner is unnessary.
A bathroom floor on a second floor might benefit from a liner or a basement where moisture might come up from beloew.

I just use a layer of thinset (same stuff used to set the tiles), place the cement board on top then nail or screw the board down.