Tile backsplash

Want to put a row of 4x4 ceramic tiles where there used to be Formica. When the Formica was removed it took the top layer of the sheetrock with it, leaving a rough gray-brown paper surface. Should that be primed before setting the new tiles, or will the rough and somewhat porous surface make for better adhesion?
Also, since the tiles have small projections that keep them from gutting tightly together at the "front," do I still need to use spacers? It seems to me that there will be plenty of space to fill with grout.
Perce

You should be fine with the surface. Just use pre-mixed mastic and a small v-trowel ( I believe I used 3/16" or smaller last time), and spread the mastic horizontally to prevent the tile from sliding down.
I also put up 4X4 tiles with jagged edges and I could not use spacers. You pretty much have to do it by eye. I would lay some test tiles dry and see what grout space looks best, then go from there. You don't want too much space. Here are some pics of my backsplash. Grout space is about 1/4".
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Backsplash?feat=directlink
Mike rock wrote:

Where did you get those tiles, Mike? They have the look I want for the same application.
Keith

At a local tile store in NY. Don't know the name of the tile. If I have a chance to pull the receipt I'll find out.
I wrote:

Ooops! Make that "fitting"

Perce

Personally, I hate wide grout lines. I reason that I am paying for durable, sealed and easy to clean tiles, why would I want grout lines, wider than the minimum, that have none of these benefits that I am seeking. To me, a 1/16" is great, 1/8" is the maximum and 1/4" is ugly.

Mike may be right that it's unneeded but I would slap some general purpose primer on it. I would tend to think sealing it would provide a better uniform surface to bond to. Pure speculation.