Tightening a nut on a Moen 7200?

The nut on my faucet has loosened up. I posted earlier here, and people suggested using a basin wrench. I spent two hours with it, but the nut is too wide (maybe 1 1/4") too thin (less than 1/4") and there is too little room between the sink and the wall to turn a basin wrench even if I could get it on the nut. I emailed Moen to ask what tool to use and they sent me a PDF of the faucet. I replied that I already had a diagram, I needed to know what tool to use. A woman called me for my address and sent me a wrench. It arrived today, and is for a 1/2" nut.

I called them and they acknowledged the error, but they don't have a wrench of the right size to send me. I asked them what size the nut was. She checked again with technical, and said it was "about 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 inch".

Does any one have a "about 1 1/8" or 1 1/4 inch" wrench they can spare? Or, does anyone know what size the nut on the a 7200 is?

And if not, how do I get it off; with a sawzall? (It is on a corian sink/counter, so I can't even pull the sink.) I can't possibly be the first person with this problem

thanks

Reply to
toller

Yeah, that's a tough nut to crack.

That nut is usually tightened *before* the sink/top is set in place and if it turns out there is no room afterward, you're SOL.

Only thing I can think of is a spanner wrench:

or something similar. Even if you had to file one out of raw stock.

Or maybe a long steel rod with a sharpened end which you could place against one of the nut flats and strike the rod with a small hammer to push the nut around.

Would it help any if you were to chop out the wall around the back of the nut to give more access?

Whatever you do is probably going to have to be out of the ordinary.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had repeated conversations with Moen, as well as a number of Home Center "plumbers". They all told me to use a basin wrench, but I had already tried that and it doesn't work.

I bought of set of large hex wrenches for showers, but before I could use them, a friend said he had done it a few times with a cresent wrench. He fixed it in 5 minutes. Can't beat that!

Reply to
toller