tight lug nuts

Page 2 of 6
On 9/26/14, 10:50 PM, rbowman wrote:

<http://www.cafepress.com/mf/14664880/vintage-rusty_tank-top?productIdv164439

Likely. I was trying to get the nuts off one trailer hub. I used everything, including oil and propane torch. Mine had a lot of rust. Finally came off.
Greg

And one impact socket broke, picked up another better quality one at tractor supply. My impact wrench is an old all trade from pace warehouse. My brother bought it years ago. It's not great.
Greg
On 9/25/14, 12:21 AM, gregz wrote:

it broke loose (with an extender pipe on the cruciform wrench).
I guess that little bit of heating was like loosening it a fraction of an degree with a wrench. I guess when a nut has been tightened beyond its designed elasticity, a fraction of a degree can mean a huge reduction in tension.
On 9/25/2014 2:26 PM, J Burns wrote:

Getting your nuts off relieves a lot of tension. I got mine off in a '59 Chevy.
On 9/25/14, 9:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

they're hot enough, I can put the torch down without having it turn over.
On 9/25/2014 9:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Was that getting your kicks on route sixty six?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/26/2014 7:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yeah, that may have been on the radio.
In 1959, it was the year of big fins, big wrap around windshields, and GM cars had the widest seats of any car.

sent to prison, or at least reeducation camp.
I've had some success with 25 inch breaker bar, and black impact sockets.
No clue what it is with mechanics who think that max tight is the only way to go.

It is a common problem. I've broken/ torn apart factory provided combo jack handles/lug nut removal tools trying to remove lug nuts after tires have been touched by service stations or dealerships.
Steve

Heat it with a small torch. Don't have to get it red hot, just enough to cause some expansion.
On 9/24/14, 7:19 AM, Ken Olson wrote:

hot might be enough.
Now I've got to find a place that sells those little propane tanks. I left the torch head on my last tank, and the valve leaked.
On 9/24/14, 7:19 AM, Ken Olson wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHitWbFIfaY

"J Burns" wrote in message
I bought tires a couple of months ago. Yesterday I tried to remove a wheel to check the bearing. The nuts wouldn't budge.
They're supposed to be torqued to about 65 foot-pounds. After letting penetrating oil work overnight, I got 15 of the 16 nuts with a cruciform wrench with 10" arms. I used a pipe to extend one arm and stood on the other.
I believe I'm applying well over 200 foot-pounds. The wrench twists so far that I think more force would be dangerous. I'll see what tools neighbors have, or maybe go to a mechanic.
Can I have the dealer and his crew sent to prison?
A few years ago a tire on my Toyota truck was losing air. When I tried (with helpers) to remove the wheel, two of the six lugs snapped off and we couldn't budge the other four. To make a long story short, I was later told that Toyota (and I think Mazda) were notorious for using soft metal on their lugs which could be easily cross-threaded and essentially welded to the nut. So in addition to replacing the tire I had all 24 lugs replaced.
On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:48:05 AM UTC-4, snafu wrote:

A friend of mine had the lug bolts put on his car super tight by a tire place too. He went back to complain. The manager came out with a torque wrench, showed him what the wrench was set to, then put it on one of the bolts, applied pressure until the wrench clicked. Whereupon he said "See, that shows that they are torqued to the right amount".
Which goes to show you, even the right eqpt is useless in the hands of an idiot. Personally, I use an electric impact wrench and just do it based on experience. Haven't had a problem yet.
On 9/24/2014 7:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Hope the friend asked the manager to loosen all the lugs and then retorque.
Agree, about the idiot part.
On 9/24/2014 7:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Don't blame the installer. I had lug bolts om my Karmann Ghia. I'd put them on with very little torque, but they'd be a bear to get off later. I'd have to put a pipe on the socket bar and jump on it for some.
The bolts and holes were perfectly machined. You could put them in by hand to the last 1/8th turn with the wrench.
On 9/24/14, 8:37 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if it was a galvanic reaction between lug nuts and studs. I guess that's what makes some screws hard to snap loose. I always figured it was intentional, like using Lock-Tite.
On 9/24/2014 7:48 AM, snafu wrote:

My friend (who's not all that wise some times) had a Buick station wagon for hauling his wife and kids. Fondly called the BMW, Big Mormon Wagon. One time he bought a set of the small steel lug nuts, because "didn't like" the tall lug nuts with the closed tops. With the decorator aluminum wheels, they have a deep well for the lug nuts. I told him that was a terrible idea. Anyhow, the steel lugs were so far down in, a wrench or socket tip didn't engage enough of the lug to remove them. We were able to remove all but a couple, and he ended up grinding the lug and stud off with my die grinder from HF. Remove the wheel, go to the store and buy new studs to bang in. And then go back to the tall lug nuts.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 07:39:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon

hacks.