Tick control

I seem to have more ticks than usual this year. Someone told me you could use a dog flea and tick collar around your ankles to eliminate the problem.What do y`all think of this? Has anyone ever tried this?

Reply to
herb white

Not a good idea unless you don't mind the insecticide getting into your body. Long pants with tight fit around ankles and maybe a touch of DEET should solve your problem. Avoid brushing against vegetation as that is how the ticks get on you by climbing it and waiting for you.

Reply to
Frank

+1

I'm not an expert on flea collars, but I seem to recall that they actually work by the insecticide being absorbed by the animal and then working through their system.

Reply to
trader_4

I had looked it up and they said there were two mechanisms, vapor from the collar and insecticide entering dogs or cats system. Also see some warning about some being a problem if around children.

Reply to
Frank

Herb,

Unlike people, dogs and cats don't sweat much. Exposing a flea collar to your sweat may cause it to release a lot of "active ingredients" over a short time into the area under the collar. This is often not good. Wearing flea collars is a "folk medicine" but it does result in rashes in some people. The military forbids wearing flea collars, Don't know if that applies to our K9 troopers.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

But what if, you put it over your pant legs?

Reply to
Art Todesco

Why not use these?

Moe DeLoughan

This item or even rubber bands would largely solve the tick problem. Camo pants I bow hunt in have drawstrings in the cuffs. I never have a tick problem but have seen ticks on the outside of the pants.

With deer ticks and Lyme disease that I worry about, I always shower at the end of the day. They say it takes a while for these ticks to find a place to bite and shower would wash them off.

Reply to
Frank

Ticks would be more successful if they didn't feel the need to crawl all over you looking for just the right place. I've had mixed success with showering. We have the Rocky Mountain wood tick variant which is larger than the eastern deer ticks so they aren't too stealthy.

Reply to
rbowman

Reportedly hippies did in the 60's a few cases of insecticide poisoning seem to break folk of the practice.

Sulphor power in the sockspants legs and underware have been used successfully for decades.

Reply to
NotMe

We've got both and behavior is different. The large ticks will bite faster and stay on you. Deer ticks apparently take more time to find the spot they want and are off after biting you. They are pretty small and hard to spot but I've seen them crawling on me when sitting in a deer stand. Far as I know, I've never been bitten but I know at least a dozen people that have gotten Lyme's disease and some spend practically no time outside.

Once had what I thought was the bulls eye rash but doctor said it was a chigger bite. I was tested, negative, but given antibiotics anyway.

Reply to
Frank

Frank posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Good idea! i knew a lady 20+ years ago, before Lyme disease became popular end up in a wheelchair because of it. Ruined her life.

Reply to
Tekkie®

This due to slimy professionals on the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), the in-the-pocket ppl who set the treatment guidlines for treating lyme disease. Most are connected, financially, in some way to entities that have a vested interest in denying long term lyme disease treatment.

Basically, it borders on criminal behavior and ppl are dying from it. Watch this mega scary documentary, Under Our Skin.

The smarmy politics behind the disease are more reprehensible than the disease, itself.

nb

Reply to
notbob