Threshold for 45" wide door

I need to install a threshold for a 45" wide door. The current threshold is marble that is 8" wide and 45" long. It is currently flush with the floor and there is a small gap between the door and the threshold. I would like to replace this threshold with one that is raised from the floor to reduce that gap. Does anyone know where I can buy thresholds for this project?

Reply to
chi.james

we don't know where in the world you are. do you have a yellow pages? look up custom kitchen countertop fabricators.

Reply to
charlie

Your local building supply?

However, if it's just a small gap, I'd suggest a door seal strip would be a far simpler solution.

Reply to
dpb

I searched my local building supply (home depot and lowes) and they did not sell any thresholds that size. And I am not quite sure what the other person is referring to. This is a threshold to a entry door and has nothing to do with the kitchen.

Reply to
chi.james

And the floor is not level so I can't merely add a door strip. The strip would be too low when I open the door.

And now I see what you meant about the kitchen countertops. Actually, I was hoping for something aluminum or wood. Thanks.

Reply to
chi.james

look for door sweeps, which is the typical way of sealing the bottom of the door against the sill.

Reply to
charlie

I cannot use a sweep or attachment to the bottom of the door because it would impede the opening of the door since the floor is not level. I am thinking of using a bumper but I was hoping for something more asthetically pleasing.

Reply to
chi.james

You can always have one made by a local millwright or woodworker. Depending on the complexity of the profile, figure $50 to $80.

Is it possible to remove the existing one and just add shims to the bottom? Like add 1/4" plywood or whatever you need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I suggested a "real" building supply, not one of the borgs. A well- stocked yard I would expect to have 48" to 72" in stock or readily available in day or two for replacement double doors, etc.

As Edwin suggests, failing that either fabricate your own or have one made at a local millworks if you can't make any sort of bottom seal or sweep work at all. There are sweeps w/ a rising mechanism built into them as well as fixed ones.

Reply to
dpb

I don't think I can remove without distroying the current threshold. I just may use an aluminum bumper. It'll be ugly but will do the job.

Reply to
chi.james

A 45" door is quite unusual, but then, an 8" marble threshold is a bit unusual also.

There are many sources for thresholds, plain and fancy.

Here is one:

What is the door material? Is the floor out of level? Can the threshold be run with the floor and the door be custom cut to work with the threshold? How tall does the threshold need to be to solve the problem - will it become a stumbling block?

Here are some solutions: Set the threshold and cut the door to match Get a threshold that matches the gap at its narrowest point and shim the rest to door/floor grade. Well set thresholds are grout packed anyway, so setting the threshold in wet mortar allows custom setting the threshold. The edges can be caulked once the grout has set. There are automatic door bottoms that raise and lower. The amount of travel is limited, but they are made to accommodate both uneven gap and the need to clear flooring. When the door is closed, a pin hits the jamb and pushes the weatherstrip down to seal to the threshold.:

Reply to
DanG