Threshold

I saw the threshold I need at a hardware store today. It's for an external door and comprises of a piece of wood the width of the door and a piece of metal to stick out as a kind of step. There are screws in the wood to raise or lower the threshold to meet the bottom of the door. If I had know that they were for that, I would have raised the threshold on our own door years ago to prevent the damp getting in and causing the wood to rot.
Anyway, if those screws are for raising and lowering the threshold (and not screwed into the slab like I thought), how is the threshold held in place. There's plenty of caulk around where it meets the door jambs but how is it actually held to the slab?
Thanks.
Paul
D'Olier wrote:

These are held in place with screws or nails through the side of the jamb into the threshold. Adhesive sealant is then used under the threshold to both hold it down and seal against air and water intrusion.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

external
piece of

raise
that
years
(and not

place.
is it

Sounds like the ones I installed last year. If it is, you remove the piece of wood that is raised and lowered, and under there are some screws, or at least that's where you attach it using plastic or lead shields, or whatever is needed for what you're going into. That way the screws are hidden.
Get 3-fin rubber sweep, and you'll never have a draft or moisture. The wood acts as a thermal break.
">

The ones I was looking at in the store were just flat underneath. Are you saying, if I remove the wood strip I will see screws or something underneath it that will go through the base and into the slab? (I have a slab) What is a 'shield'?
Thanks for the response.
Paul
">

We may be thinking of different things. It looks like it would be very awkward to nail something through the jamb and into the threshold. Somehow they must be attached to the floor underneath - in my case, that's a slab.
Thanks for the response.
Paul
D'Olier wrote:

Shield: http://www.confast.com/products/lag-shield-anchor.asp You're welcome.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price

the
the
The
you
underneath
What
Yes, remove the adjustable wood strip. I don't remember if there are holes already, or if you have to drill them. In either case, this is where you attach it to the subfloor. The other poster should have described what a shield is. Basically the plastic sleeves that you use on drywall. If you sub-floor is wood, just use a wood screw.