Three wire electric oven, four wire wall?

I've seen several examples on how to wire an electric oven with four wires into home wiring with either three or four wires. However my new oven has only three wires, red, black and yellow, and I haven't seen any wiring diagrams for this case.

I'm _guessing_ that I wire the yellow ground (yes, yellow!) to the white, red to red and black to black. But this seems to suggest the white is attached to ground (which is what you do in the four-to-three wire cases) and this has the potential to charge the appliance case.

Has anyone seen this situation before?

Maury

Reply to
Maury Markowitz

Your wiring scheme sounds fine, although if this is a new oven, it should have wiring instructions included with it or attached to the back where the flex cable is

Reply to
RBM

It does, in "germanglish". I can understand the words, but can't make heads or tails of what they're trying to say!

Maury

Reply to
Maury Markowitz

I have dealt with instructions like that. For such things, I often find the drawings much more understandable.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

...no diagrams. *sigh*

We called the manufacturer, they were more confused than us. They said wire red-red, black-black and yellow-ground. This gives the unit power, the lights and controls all work, but when you try to get heat nothing happens. I'm assuming it should be yellow-white, but forget it, I'll let them come in and "fix" it under warrantee.

Maury

Reply to
Maury Markowitz