Three-way to Two-way Switches

My second statement is not false with current code requirements, there is no other way to feed a 3-way loop providing neutrals at both ends of the loop unless one side is feed and the other load unless you use

4 conductor cable to provide the hot return from the far side of the loop and I have yet to see 4 conductor non-metallic cable used in a house...

You can not feed a three way loop with a two-wire cable and satisfy the code requirement of a neutral at each switch location... You can not feed power and connect the load to the same side of the switch loop without using 4 conductor cable... Even with the light in the middle of the loop would require 4 conductor cable to provide the neutral at the switch locations...

You jumped to the first conclusion which was that both lights operated from the same switch loop, and though proven correct on that by the OP's latest response, that was still a leap...

Then you said "no, not enough conductors exist" which was bullshit because more often than not, they do, the most ideal situation for the OP would be if the feed was at one of the lights which was daisy chained to the other, because then it is just a matter of changing how things are connected... You were NOT correct in saying that a new wire is required in the OP's given situation with the information originally provided -- another assumption...

There is however a feed and a load side in three way switch loops -- again, they are rarely located in the same box and can no longer be co-located under present code unless 4 conductor cable is used between the two switch locations...

You jump to too many assumptions and either were taught only one specific way of doing certain wiring and never were curious enough to learn the other methods or are very close minded about doing things other than the way the electricians you apprenticed under showed you...

Thank god you are not in my state, I wouldn't hire you to do electrical work for me, I would go through 4 years of apprenticing and obtain my own license first before I ever paid you do it...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Idiot, complete idiot

Reply to
RBM

I've seen your answers here to lots of questions. And I've seen RBM's. You Sir, remind me of the robot from the 60's show, Lost in Space. Warning! Danger, Will Robinson! Arms flailing, head popping up and down..... Someone can ask about how to perform anything, and you'll tell them why they're too stupid to do it and how changing a door knob will involve insurance companies, zoning issues and could kill them.

RBM has provided sound, expert, and pracical advice to me and to others over the years. I'd be happy to have him work on my house any time. You, I wouldn't let on the property.

Reply to
trader4

I'll be right over (lol)

Reply to
RBM

RBM knows what he's talking about. I was working on an Army Core of Engineers job and the electrical superintendent and foreman I was working for had no idea how to hook up three way and four way switches. I was supposed to trust them with the 15,000 volt terminations and splices. Just because someone claims to be an electrician doesn't mean they know what they're doing. You can trust that RBM knows what he's doing. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas