Three-way to Two-way Switches

The light in the laundry room and the light on the back porch are both cont= rolled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come = into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laundry= room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to h= aving two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one f= or the back porch light.

It seems that I should be able to do this without rewiring the whole thing.= First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wires = running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switch = box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The majo= r re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture but = since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tiles.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone tried it before?

Reply to
Pavel314

ntrolled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you com= e into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laund= ry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to= having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one= for the back porch light.

g. First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wire= s running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switc= h box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The ma= jor re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture bu= t since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tile= s.

@Pavel314:

Are the lights on the same circuit ?

One side of a three-way switch loop will be the power side and one side will be the load side... You just have to figure out which side is supplying the power...

You have enough conductors in the wires in use to do the change you wish to make, it is just a matter of identifying where the power feed is coming from and changing the connections around to accomplish single location switches...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one for the back porch light.

First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tiles.

What you have to do, depends upon how the current wiring was set up. You have a set of 3 way switches controlling 2 lights. You want independent single pole switches, each operating one light. The feed for the existing system can be located in either switch box, or one of the ceiling outlet boxes. You pretty much will have to break it all down, identify the wires, then decide how to change it.

Reply to
RBM

ntrolled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you com= e into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laund= ry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to= having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one= for the back porch light.

g. First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wire= s running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switc= h box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The ma= jor re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture bu= t since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tile= s.

You can not always easily do what you want.

3-way circuits can be wired a number of different ways. If you do not have a volt/ohm meter and know how to use it call an electrician.
Limp Arbor

controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one for the back porch light.

First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tiles.

Incorrect. The feed can be in one of the two lighting outlets as well. There is no scenario where the existing conductors are sufficient to do what he wants. He will have to add one two wire cable somewhere.

Reply to
RBM

controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one for the back porch light.

First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tiles.

They're right. This is much more complicated than it sounds. There are at least iirc 6 ways 3-way switches can be wired.

WRT your porch light, you have a porch light now? With no switch inside? Does it have a switch somewhere? Are there wires from the proch light in that wall by the door? If Yes, yet there is no swtich there? Why would the wires be by the door if there is no swtich there?. But if there are wires there, it would be easier to just put in one more switch.

How many switches or outlets are there wehre the 3-way next to the door is. If you have a 3-way and any other two-way, you can replace the 2-way with TWO 2-ways, one for the porch.

Or you can put in a switch just above the current switch

Reply to
micky

[...]

*As others mentioned, this may not be as straight forward as you think. I would first try to identify the wires feeding each light fixture. It is possible that one light is fed from the other light. In that case you would need to run a separate feed up to one of the light fixtures.
Reply to
John Grabowski

The question I have is why do you want to change it to begin with? It would seem having the 3 way switches on each light gives you the most flexibility. You can turn the ligth on or off from either location, so what's the issue? Usually foks are looking to go the other way. I'd think you'd want the laundry room light to be able to turn on from either entrance as you go into a dark room, no?

I would think you could do it with the wiring already there if you insist on doing it.

Reply to
trader4

controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you = come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the la= undry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it= to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and = one for the back porch light.

hing. First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two w= ires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other sw= itch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The= major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture= but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the t= iles.

You assume that the switch loop must be fed from the fixture using a two wire cable from the power feed at the light... There are two configurations out of eight possible ways to wire the light to be controlled by two switch locations... Given the fact that the OP has said that there are two three-way switches controlling different lights located in the same switch box locations it would be highly doubtful that the electrician who originally wired that situation would have chosen those methods to accomplish it as it would have required more wire to be used than feeding one side of the switch loops and using larger sized switch boxes as needed...

There is a 25% chance what you have said is true and an 75% that what I have said is correct...

Method 1: Feed @ Sw A and Light from Sw B

Method 2: Feed @ Light, 2 wire cable to Sw A to feed loop

This is one of the situations in which the task the OP wants to do is impossible without adding wires...

Method 3: Feed @ Sw A, light in middle of loop

Method 4: Feed @ Light, light in middle of loop

Method 5: Same as Method 1 only feeding multiple fixture locations

Method 6: Feed @ light, multiple fixtures, loop fed by 2 wire cable

This is one of the situations in which the task the OP wants to do is impossible without adding wires...

Method 7: Feed @ Sw A, multiple lights in middle of loop connected by double runs of 2 wire cable

Method 8: Feed @ light, multiple lights in middle of loop connected by double runs of 2 wire cable

Those are the eight acceptable ways for three way switch loops to be run that were taught by the master electricians at the vocational school I was a student at many moons ago...

Maybe the OP will take pictures of how many wires are located in each of the switch boxes and at each fixture so more information about exactly how it is wired can be determined...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

It's interesting how much easier this is to read when the lines are shorter. The first verrion had the lines 80 characters long or more.

Oh, this is not directly from the OP, but by John.

I get it now. Very unusual. An amateur or maybe a pro made a mistake. There was 3 mistakes of various sorts by the electrician who did my house, all small, one related to 3-way switches.

Missed this part enitrely. I wonder if everyone else did with the 80 character lines???

My thought is that you should take down the ceiling and make a drawing of the way the cables are now, and another drawing of the way you think they should be to work the way you want.. Then make a list of every change you need to make to get from one to the other.

You should remove the wall plates at the two switches, pull the switches out in order to see the details of how many wires there are and which are connected to swtiches, which are wire-nutted to each otther, review your first drawing, and make a new drawing showing each wire within each cable, as they are now. And make another drawing with just as much detail the way you think they should be. And refine your list of every change you need to make.

As you make your list, you should figure out if you need more cable.

You can use 3-way switches as 2 way if you want to.

In one bathroom, the light over the mirror, the light on ceiling, and the bathroom fan all went on with one switch. I was able to make the ceiling light not go on unless I wanted it too, by putting a swtich in the mirror fixture, but I couldn't do the opposite without much more work since the wires first went to the mirror. I put a second switch t here to turn off the fan, which I never use.

Reply to
micky

ntrolled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you com= e into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laund= ry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to= having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one= for the back porch light.

g. First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wire= s running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switc= h box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The ma= jor re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture bu= t since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tile= s.

Draw a diagram of the three way circuits you now have then modify the drawing to look like what you want. The secret to modifying wiring to to know what you have to start with.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one for the back porch light.

First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tiles.

No, I haven't assumed anything: ~ Evan wrote" One side of a three-way switch loop will be the power side and one side will be the load side... You just have to figure out which side is supplying the power...

I merely corrected you. Now suddenly you found Jesus

Reply to
RBM

th controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where yo= u come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the = laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change = it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light an= d one for the back porch light.

thing. First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two= wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other = switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. T= he major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixtu= re but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the= tiles.

You said I was wrong, yet in 6 of the 8 methods of wiring a three-way switch loop what I said was

100% factual... Sounds like you thought I was unaware of the wiring methods and circuit paths in a three-way switch loop, yet what I said was in fact correct in most situations where three-way switches are installed, I will take those 3 out of 4 odds...

In fact now that the electrical code requires the neutral for the lighting circuit be available at each switch location, the two methods you say I was wrong about would no longer be code compliant in new or modified old-work, would they as there is no way to provide the neutral to a three-way switch loop using a 2 wire cable to feed the loop from the power feed at the light...

Must be a regional thing but I have only seen feeds at the switch or from the light in the middle of the loop in my area: Methods 1, 3 and 4...

Sounds like you assumed a lot more than I did...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one for the back porch light.

thing. First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tiles.

Evan, you are an idiot. No matter how the three way wiring, controlling two light fixtures is set up, it can't be broken down and rewired to have each switch control one light fixture, without adding wiring

Reply to
RBM

controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one for the back porch light.

thing. First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tiles.

OK, I stand corrected. No, you're still an idiot, however a wiring scenario where the 3 conductor line from switch to switch breaks through one of the lighting junction boxes, could be converted to two single pole switches, each controlling a separate light. This however would be a pretty unlikely scenario because of the high volume of wires in one box.

Reply to
RBM

both controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where = you come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in th= e laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to chang= e it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light = and one for the back porch light.

le thing. First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the t= wo wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the othe= r switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light.= The major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fix= ture but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind t= he tiles.

Since the OP doesn't know where the wires actually go, just that he can see them (plural) above the ceiling that is still quite a large assumption on your part... Are the wires 3 conductor or 2 conductor, he didn't offer that information, all that is known is that there are more than one that he can see...

As is the fact that the OP used rather sloppy language when he was explaining how the lights were controlled, as to both being controlled by a pair of switches...

He never clearly states whether or not both fixtures, the inside one and the outside one are controlled by the SAME set of switches or if there are two sets of switches each controlling one of the fixtures...

This time the odds are even as to whether or not your latest explanation is valid or not...

Calling me an idiot does not make you correct, that will not be known until the OP figures out the circuit, but it is clear that you assumed way more than I did as your way of thinking was correct only 25% of the time... Don't let that twist too far into your backside...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

controlled by a pair of three-way switches. The first switch is where you come into the laundry room from the dining room and the second is in the laundry room by the door exiting to the back porch. I would like to change it to having two two-way switches, one to control the laundry room light and one for the back porch light.

First identify the hot line coming from the box, then using the two wires running between the two existing switches use one to feed the other switch box in an always-on mode while the other controls the other light. The major re-wiring will be to get one switched hot line to each light fixture but since it's a suspended ceiling, the wires are all visible behind the tiles.

When you get ready to find out, turn the circuit off and pull the switches out of the wall and take a picture of what you have. (don't disconnect anything)

Even if you decide not to change them, take photos for us.

Reply to
Metspitzer

You continuously show your ignorance with statements like the above. The OP has a set of 3 way switches controlling two existing lights. Unless he has an ancient Carter system, he has 3 wires going between the switches. I don't need him to offer that information and I don't need to see them. They exist

It was clear enough to me, and you're reply to him:

" One side of a three-way switch loop will be the power side and one side will be the load side... You just have to figure out which side is supplying the power..."

Is patently false. The feed side and the load side, can be in the same box. The feed can also be in the lighting outlet. Your second statement:

" You have enough conductors in the wires in use to do the change you wish to make, it is just a matter of identifying where the power feed is coming from and changing the connections around to accomplish single location switches..."

Is also false with the one exception being that his wiring system has the three wires that go between the switches, breaking through one of the lighting boxes. This is possible, but if you had any real life experience, you'd know it's very uncommon.

Thinking you know something about electrical wiring, because you have the ability to read, makes you an idiot

Reply to
RBM

I like the idea of a switch above the current switch to operate the porch light independent of the laundry room light. Keep the laundry room light on the three-way, workable from either door, but have the porch light go on only when we need it.

Reply to
Pavel314

light independent of the laundry room light. Keep the laundry room light o= n the three-way, workable from either door, but have the porch light go on = only when we need it.

In which case the whole thing makes more sense. It now comes down to how easy it is to seperate the porch light from the laundry light and if a hot and neutral are available in the switch box by the door.

If the wire going to the laundry light and the wire are seperate, but both come into the door switch box, that's great.. If they are daisy chained from one light to the other inside the ceiling, walls, etc, then you have a whole different job. At that point you'd probably have to get a new cable from the new switch location to the porch light.

Reply to
trader4