three way switch problem

i am wiring a three way circuit for a basement fixture to be controlled from upstairs and down. I replaced the single pole switch at the top of the stairs with a three way switch (#1), put a three way at the bottom of the stairs (#2) and ran 14/3 wire between them. #1 switch is in a box that has a 3 way switch already from a completely different circuit. I pigtailed the hot wire from that switch to #1 hot. I connected the travelers to #1 and used the white wires that were pigtailed in the box from the other switch,to connect the white wire from the 14/3 through to my new fixture. Switch #1 and2 work perfectly, but now the other switch also turns the light in the basement off when # 1 is on. what did i do?
It seems like you might have tapped off on of the output wires from the other circuit rather than the true hot wire. This would cause you to loose power when you flip the other circuit's switch. Try testing the voltage on switch #1 while turning the other circuit's switch on/off. Depending on who put the other circuit in, they may not have utilized the correct color coding for the wiring. Hope that helps.
Mark stinky673 wrote:

As already stated, I think you connected the new set of three ways to an already switched leg of the other circuit. You may not have a "feed" from that other circuit in that box. Why not use the existing feed that was on the single pole switch previously?

http://www.electrical-online.com/wiringdiagrams.htm
http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_index.asp?page_id5720230
stinky673 wrote:

Did you do this drawing? The red/white would look more accurate if it were white/yellow. And the red/black should be red/yellow.
Interesting drawing. With graphics you can have more information of what is going on.
I wish I someone would come up with a 3D graphic explanation of how magnetic fields interact.
i replaced the existing feed with the 14/3, thinking i could use the power from the other switch that was in the box. thanks for the help, i will try your suggestions and get back to you.
mark you were right. i didn't tap off the true hot wire. I simply switched the black wires and it worked. Its hard to tell what is what with that old cloth covered wiring! thanks for the help!