Three way switch - FIXTURES IN MIDDLE

Page 2 of 2
av wrote:

yes that's what i presently have.

i know! did i mention that i only have pancake boxes installed for each fixture? i *might* be able to change that, depending if i can find other fixtures that would accept them.
oy, what a mess!!!
but thank you! av

Your fixtures boxes at present have 6 conductors in them. Assuming they have an integral cable clamp, then they should be a minimum of 16 in^3 in volume for 14 AWG wire, or 18 in^3 in volume for 12 AWG. I don't know how big your pancake boxes are, but I doubt they are 16 in^3 in volume.
It sounds like you have much more basic problems than your 3-way switching difficulties. You need to change all the boxes to something bigger. Perhaps while you are doing this, you can change the existing cable runs from 3-conductor to 4-conductor by using the 3-conductor cable to pull new 4-conductor cable (or two 2-conductor cables). If you do this, you'll have 8 conductors in the fixtures boxes, so they need to be at least 20 in^3 for 14 AWG wire or 22.5 in^3 for 12 AWG wire.
Cheers, Wayne

Is now a good time to mention... Jewtrals? :-)
<~~~running and ducking
On 6 Jun 2004 15:06:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sover.net (av) wrote:

Whoa! Wait. Are you adding fixtures or switches?
out how to add the

that was a mistake on my part. hasty writing amidst anxiety of problem.
ok... thread is closed now everybody.
av