Three electrical code questions

Hi,

  1. Is it permissible to install outlets in the same bay that also has heating system pipes?

  1. Is it permissble to fasten two cables to a stud with a single staple?

  2. I have a cinterblock wall that is framed with 2x4 sole and head plates and 2x3 studs so there is an inch of space between the cinterblocks and the studes. Is it OK for a wire to run behind the studs?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Yes

Yes

Yes, but they still have to be stapled

Reply to
RBM

Just outside the electrical boxes or in several places along the way as well?

Reply to
Aaron Fude

..

It is cinderblock, they were originallly made from old coal cinders.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If you are fishing in an existing wall you don't need to staple them

Reply to
gfretwell

Ah, that was going to be my question.

I cut out a section of drywall at the top - brought in the cable - and fished it down to the new outlets.

For the outlets, I cut out a hole just the size of the box, and then screwed the box to the stud.

I did stable the cable at the top since I had access. But next to the box, I did not have access, so I did not.

Reply to
Kevin

Why would they need to be stapled? Seems to me that falls under the clause permitting NM to be fished through voids in existing walls, doesn't it?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yup, I thought these were open walls until he clarified in a later post

Reply to
RBM