Three contractors no showed

Page 2 of 2

I understand the sentiment, but as someone said one size does not fit all. If you're talking about some little dinky project, fine, no deposit. But if it's something substantial you can be rootin' tootin' sure that I'm getting a deposit when the contract is signed. It's good business.
If you're painting a couple rooms in a house, there's not a lot of upfront set up time and expenses, but if you're adding on a room, redoing a kitchen, building cabinetry or whatever, there's quite a bit of legwork that takes place before the actual first day of construction.
It's also interesting that most states and municipalities have codified what the maximum deposit can be. If your scenario was the standard, that maximum deposit would have been codified at zero.
wrote

When I was doing iron work, if the customer complained about the price or terms or tried to beat me down, I'd just be nice, leave soon, and put an X on the upper corner of the proposal. This meant do not do any work for this person in any case. If they pound you down on the basics, they will pick apart everything else. A proposal is just that, and worth less than the paper form it is written on. It is not a contract (in most states) until accepted, signed by the buyer, returned to the contractor, and deposit made, or terms agreed upon.
If they called, I just told them that I had some big contracts come in, and would be busy for months. I then had them call back later complaining of what a bad job their BIL or the alien down the street did, and could I come fix/finish the job. I would tell them how sorry I was, and that being a licensed contractor with no complaints at the Contractors Board that I guaranteed all my work 100%.
There are all sorts of reasons for contractors to no show or fail to perform. And lots of times, we don't hear the whole story, or at least the other side. But when it all falls into place, and everyone's happy, there's usually a few very good reasons for that, and we don't often hear about the cases where there is negotiation, cooperation, and working together on fine issues.
MHO, YMMV, and all that .............
Steve, ex steel erection contractor.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide
On 5/1/2011 7:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I've almost given up on trying to get quotes for anything around here. Either it is a no-show (most common), or a high-pressure salesman with slick brochures shows up, or they (eventually) send me a high-ball bid including stuff I didn't want. I mean, I understand that my jobs are piss-ant and wouldn't make them much money, but I know how few construction starts there have been around here in the last few years. Did all the underemployed tradesmen starve to death or move away already?
--
aem sends...

They're "busy" for another 99 weeks.
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:14:34 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

yeah i've seen this too. call 12 contractors and set up appts. 6 show up. 3 get back with quotes. if you're lucky 1 will work
and they cry poverty
On Apr 30, 3:14pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Or, you didn't disguise well enough that you're a easy mark. -----
- gpsman

Huh? What does that mean?
If the OP was an easy mark, wouldn't he have been ripped off in some way, other than his time?
What's to gain by having an "easy mark" agree to your price but then not show up to take his money?
On Sun, 1 May 2011 16:49:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Heh. Last summer I had my floors sanded. Couple of Polish guys recommended by my son. I don't know if they're legal, but they've been around for a few years. When the boss man came out to look he said $450. I said do it. The guy's English was so-so. They did an excellent sanding job and put down a coat of poly. Floors looked beautiful and both the wife and me were shocked. I didn't think to ask about coats, and I think the price he gave me was for one coat. Still not sure about that. My wife speaks Polish and talked the guy when they finished. She wanted to know what's best, and he told her 3 coats. But I got the impression the deal was one coat. I told her to tell him to do 3 coats and I'll pay him $550. She told him that. He can't say when he'll show up the next day. I told him to call me when he's on the way over to do the next coat. I'm sure he understood me. Dogs wake me up early the next day, and they're ringing the bell. They go over the first coat with the sander, vacuum and lay down a second coat. He can't say when he'll come the next day. I tell the guy again to call me when he's on the way to do the third coat. Again the dogs and doorbell wake me up. They vacuum and lay down the last coat in about 15 minutes. The boss shouts down to the basement that they're done and I go around the house to the front with my checkbook. I'm still groggy and haven't had my coffee. I compliment them on the job and say I'm paying $600. Then I write him a check for $500 and they leave. After I had my coffee I realize what I did, and call the guy and apologize, tell him to come back and get another hundred. As far as I know, he understood, but after a couple days of no show I call him again and tell him the same. He never showed. Beats the hell out of me why not. My wife said he seemed a little goofy. I got nothing against goofy doing a smart job. Besides me wanting to pay a fair price for their work, which I thought he underbid, my wife had talked to the guy about putting up crown molding and he said he would get back to us on that. He never did, and I did the woodwork myself.
On up front money for some work, I expect that. I paid the roofer for materials before he started, and I paid the guy who replaced all my windows for his costs before he started. Seems normal to me and I don't see a way around that. You don't do that with a fly-by-night, and should have references.
--Vic

Nice story and very commendable on your part, but what does it have to do with my question regarding an "easy mark"?
On Mon, 2 May 2011 11:52:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

What, the story has to match exactly? I just matched the "not show up to take his money" part. That's all I got. Sorry.
--Vic

Perhaps you missed the point of my question, but it's not worth pursuing.
In any case, classy move on your part in trying to get the contractor his money.
On Apr 30, 2:14pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

That's why they call them "independent contractors". :^}
On Apr 30, 3:14pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

S'truth to that. It was a nice day yesterday, so I took a toodle around on my bike, and there's a boatload of construction going on around here. It surprised me how much. I guess there has been a pent up demand that broke loose with the good weather.