threaded wire connectors

"JC" wrote in message news:pMydnRsHZr9cMfXXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com

The vast majority of the time there ARE no blueprints on existing homes. You're lucky to even find a written description of wiring sometimes. A multi-tester will not tell you where a buried, inaccessible junction box is located. In fact, there is almost no way short of expensive equipment to even locate it to within a few inches of its actual location. The symptom would not be 240Vac; in a residential NA setting it would be a loss of 120Vac 99.9% of the time. If it goes to 240, there is much more wrong than an inaccessible junction box, which itself gives no indication that it even exists, let alone where it is. It's not covering a junction box with sheetrock that's a problem: It's the inaccessibility of the junction box regardless of coverings that is the problem. IF for instance the box were accessible from the other side of the wall, ceiling, etc., then that's fine. A "hot" junction box is not going to identify itself and in the hands of a poor tech may result in an inability to even realize one exists; while the house burns down that night. But if it's exposed it's easily traced and found to be hot, by any competent tech with a current license. Read the code: It gives the reasons behind it. You're welcome to your opinions but that doesn't mean others need to follow you or should depend on you. Since you participate on this group I have to assume you're involved with electrical work and thus are not credible or reliable. Your attitude makes your comments questionable.

Reply to
Twayne

Bingo what? That doesn't make your faulty opinions any more valid.

Reply to
Twayne

Obliterate what? The blue plastic boxes are irrelevant to anything brought up in this thread. You're trying to change the subject. Do the same with an ungrounded metal box; exactly the same results.

Reply to
Twayne

I have the latest code book. 2008 I believe. Could you please point out the page that tells me that the point in question was NOT inserted by some desk jockey? If you can, I promise, I'll never help anyone with house inspections.

Reply to
JC

Correction, I have the NEC 2005 (NFPA 70). I might have a 2008 handbook or something. But, just open up the front cover and read it for yourself. Desk jockeys, mostly desk jockey's with nothing more than OPINIONS! I mean, come on fella, can you give me a good reason why a National Electrical Code would have a disclaimer of liability for those that follow the friggin code? Geez. They sit around a big room and all of a sudden someone says something like this, "hey, you know what? My nephew, who once worked for an electricians helper, said that it sure was inconvenient trying to track down those dang junction boxes when they are hidden inside walls. Why don't you guys make that illegal?". And as they've never seen an electric wire in their lives say "sure, what the hell".

I can find a hidden junction box within minutes. With a magnet if it's metal and with a multi tester (a bit more difficult) if it's plastic. How hard do you think it is to trace from one outlet to the next, along a wall? It's not foolproof but it's very doable. And once again, if it's for safety, it's just a joke because I'll guarantee you, no fireman is going to wonder around looking for junction boxes. So we come right back to what I said originally, it's a feelgood reg for convenience ONLY!

Reply to
JC

You've just done a great job of proving your lack of logic, forethought and perception. Perhaps you need to stop doing anything for anyone but yourself.

Reply to
Twayne

Perhaps you should try to find somewhere that I claimed to do anything for anyone but myself before you get your whole leg in your mouth.

Reply to
JC

I suppose with a powerful magnet I could find a metal junction box if it were close to the surface, but how would I know it was the right box?

How would I locate a hidden junction box with just a multitester? How much damage would I do if I cut my way to it? How could I be sure the hidden box I found wasn't live?

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Don't how *you* would. Perhaps you would call an electrician.

Reply to
JC

Or perhaps you're just making stuff up. Do tell -- how do *you* locate a hidden plastic junction box with just a multitester?

This oughta be amusing...

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm not interested in amusing you. Try it and maybe you can figure it out.

Reply to
JC

Here, let me just set your minds at ease so you won't keep wasting your time trying to claim that plastic junction boxes cannot be found with a multi tester. I suppose there are hundreds of different kinds of multi testers and perhaps that's why you just don't get it.

The SureTest® Circuit Tracers are powerful, versatile, easy-to-use troubleshooting test tools for finding breakers and hidden wire problems in residential/commercial/industrial environments. These tracers work on energized and de-energized circuits. They identify circuit breakers, find opens and shorts, and trace wires behind walls and underground.

Each kit contains the same transmitter (TR-958) and test lead kit (TL-958). The 958 also has the high-end Receiver (RC-958), adds an Inductive Clamp (IC-958) with Battery Pack (BP-958), and a larger Hard Case (C-958).

Features:

a.. Numeric value and audible signal provide quick and easy-to-understand tracing feedback b.. Receiver display rotates automatically for easy viewing c.. Identifies breakers and fuses d.. Can be used on circuits de-energized/energized 0-600V AC/DC e.. Kit includes: a.. Transmitter b.. Receiver c.. Tracer Test Lead Set d.. Inductive Clamp e.. Battery Pack f.. Hard Carrying Case g.. Batteries h.. Instructional DVD Spec Summary:

Transmitter Operating Frequency: 32 kilohertz, fixed-amplitude, time-modulated signal Current Output of Signal: 200mA p-pmax into 50 ohm Voltage Output of Signal: 30V nominal (2 watts) Operating Voltage: 0 ? 600V AC/DC Battery Power: 1.5V x (4) AA batteries (NEDA 15A, IEC LR6) Battery life: 40 hours open circuit testing / 25 hours short circuit tracing Indicators: On/Off, Line energized, Low battery Receiver Sensing: Magnetic Maximum range: 15 feet underground Signal response: Numeric display and Audible beep Battery Power: 1.5V x (3) AA batteries (NEDA 15A, IEC LR6) Battery life: 20 hours

Reply to
JC

Some people waste their time trying to claim you can't fly to Hawaii on a bicycle. I suppose there are hundreds of different kinds of bicycles and perhaps that's why you just don't get it.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

The code panels are electricians, contractors, inspectors, UL, electrical engineers who design buildings and products. What would any of them know about safe wiring?

We need the code written by the real experts, like JC.

Reply to
bud--

Obviously, YOU haven't read that inside front cover. You guys sure are defensive. What's the matter? All I said was that I "suspected" that this item in the code was written by some desk jockey. That's because I've read the inside front cover. I did not say for any of you to ignore this part of the code. I did not say any of you had to take my statement as fact. I simply said what *I* suspected. And you guys all got your tailfeathers ruffled as if you had been indicted or something. Geez, I thought you might be growups on here. But not a damn one of you was able to answer my question when I asked all of you defensive sorts to show me where that part of the code was NOT written by some desk jockey.

So, y'all huff and puff and blow off your steam and I'll stick with my original suspicion. You guys would shit your pants if you knew some of the people that write the various fire codes. Guess what? 90% of them are NOT fire prevention techs in any sense of the term.

Reply to
JC

That's *not* a multitester.

Reply to
Doug Miller
[snip]

This sounds like the "evidence" for [supernatural being]. People keep saying there's plenty of evidence, than fail to produce any.

Reply to
real1

Obviously I have.

If you had reasonable intelligence and read the make-up of the code panels at the front of the NEC you would find they are electricians, contractors, inspectors, UL, electrical engineers who design buildings and products. That is, people who work daily with wiring and equipment and are familiar with electrical safety.

Cite a code panel that is not primarily electricians, contractors, inspectors, UL, manufacturers, electrical engineers who design buildings and products.

I answered your question.

The code is written by electricians, contractors, inspectors, UL, electrical engineers who design buildings and products - people familiar with electrical safety.

Time to fulfill your pledge: "Could you please point out the page that tells me that the point in question was NOT inserted by some desk jockey? If you can, I promise, I'll never help anyone with house inspections."

Reply to
bud--

Aaron Fude posted for all of us...

snipped

Anyone used these? Select your poison..

Tekkie®

Yea, I have a bunch that I recovered from a job where the electricians had no clue how to use them. The things were included with the new light fixtures. I love the small push in connectors sold by Ideal for changing out ballasts in fluorescent fixtures.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas