Those Goddamn Chainsaws

Page 2 of 2
Harry K wrote:

Well , I can't complain , this saw was given to me . It needed some work , mostly a carb cleaning and new bar and chain , So far the worst saw I own is the only one I actually bought , but I really can't complain much about that one either . I gave 75 bucks for it used probably 15 years ago . It saw light use mostly until we moved up here and I started heating wirh wood ... now I have 3 , with extra power heads for 2 of them . It's nice to have a spare ready to go if you accidently touch a rock or get the bar bound !
--
Snag

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:27:09 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wr ote:

That's partially true, they do need to be used occasionally and not just on ce a year.
My 1st good chainsaw was a Poulan 3400 that I used for 20+ years and never replaced anything except worn out chains from to many sharpenings and a new bar or two. Probably cut a couple of hundred trees with it. My current s aw is a Stihl 036 Pro and have been using it for about 8 years. Had to cha nge the pull cord once. I keep a 5yr supply of firewood by using it plus cl eanup of downed trees so it gets a good workout.
They get used at least once a month, sometimes more, and always start on th e 2nd or 3rd pull. The chain needs to be kept tight to keep it from coming off. Depending on the bar, some need to sag less than 1/4", and the Stihl bar is tight + 1/4 turn of the adjustment screw.
Electric saws are ok for limbs & saplings but not much more. The 'chainsaw -on-a-stick' pole saws are nice until it gets pinched in a high large limb and you can't get it loose without an extension ladder and choice cuss word s.

My husqvarna been going on 10 years occasional use. Never drain gas. Always starts up. Never serviced.
Greg

Same here. Did replace the piston ring before it wore to the point where it could catch the exhaust port. New ring and gasket, $25. You get what you pay for, eih? Great saw....