Those Dangerous Samsung Phones that start on fire....

It looks like Samsung cant fix the problem of these phone batteries starting on fire. They even evacuated a commercial plane because of one of them (instead of just tossing the phone out a door or window.. kinda dumb).

So how do you get rid of them? You cant just toss them in the garbage because the garbage could start on fire. I wonder if smashing the phone with a sledge hammer would do the trick. Or what about tossing them in a container of sulfuric acid?

I suppose we will soon find these phones laying in rural road ditches, and in city sewers because people are afraid of them, and dont know how to get rid of them.

I think the real solution is for Samsung to go to the residence of each and every phone owner, to reimburse the customer and take these "firebombs" back to their factory, where they can burn down their business for not properly testing their products. It would serve them right if they burned and went bankrupt.

I'm glad I dont own one.... And will never buy a Samsung product.....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Don't go nuts, just take out the battery. Put it in a bucket of sand if you are paranoid.

Reply to
gfretwell

I guess you forgot the I-Phones that were burning up a while ago.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe the smartphones are just bad news all the way around. I'll stick with my old $20 flip phone. The only thing wrong with the batteries in them, is that they only last about 1 - 1/2 years. I'm on my

3rd battery on this 4 year old phone, and it's needing to be charged twice daily now. I think I'll spend the $20 to get a newer flip phone this time around.
Reply to
Paintedcow

If I had one of them, I guess that would be a good solution. Or better yet, bury the battery in someone's yard, or best of all, find a highway where they are going to pour concrete, and put it under the gravel, so it's permanently sealed in concrete....

Actually, it might not be the phones at all, but the cause is all the hot air from using the phone for facebook, or reading all the latest political scandals. :)

Reply to
Paintedcow

The particular phone is a serious problem but I've had other Samsung phones for years. It is a battery problem, not a phone problem.

I have a half dozen Samsung products and they are all good quality.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The phones are committing suicide because people are reading your posts on them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Kinda dumb? What's your area of expertise, if any?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

return phones to wherever you bought them for a full refund

Reply to
bob haller

A flip phone without the screen, wi-fi, bluetooth, camera, etc. could probably last a few days on a pair of Ni-H AAAs. Then, if they require recharging and you want to call 911 while you're out in the bush because you've shot yourself in the foot, you can just take the alcalines out of your 'scope laser.

I know that lithium polymer batteries have a higher charge density, but there's nothing that beats the convenience of getting fresh batteries in (dare I say it) a convenience store.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

I have never seen a flip phone that runs on AAA batteries. They all have a dedicated flat battery, which can be costly. A place called "Batteries Plus", quoted me just under $50. I told the guy I only paid $20 for the phone (with battery/charger). I was gonna just buy another phone, but then I found the batteries on Ebay for about $6 (shipped). I have since bought them twice, and they all lasted as long as the original one. (1.5 years). But the phone itself is badly worn, so I think I'm gonna get a new one this time.

I wish I could just use common AAA batteries....

Thats just like I was looking at a digital camera in the store. Nice camera, but as soon as I found out it needed a special dedicated battery pack (which costs $60), I put the camera back on the shelf and left the store. Most of my photos are taken outdoors, in places where there are no outlets to plug in a charger. I'll just stick with my old camera that uses common AA alkaline or rechargable batteries. (I always carry spares, and almost every gas station and store sells them.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Very simple to dispose of them. Return to point of purchase for refund. Hitting with a hammer is likely to ensure they DO start on fire.

Reply to
clare

..

I don't understand that. My 3-4 year old Convoy (Samsung flip) will run for over a week on a charge. I admit I don't make a lot of calls tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

Isn't this the definition of a burner phone?

Reply to
Tekkie®

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

+25
Reply to
Tekkie®

Scott Lurndal posted for all of us...

NONE!

Reply to
Tekkie®

Seth Myers said when you are on a plane you can't lie about turning off your S/7 because your pants will literally be on fire.

Reply to
gfretwell

I won't buy a camera that uses AA batteries. They are WAY too expensive. I just replaced the battery on my good digital camera - $22 for 2 batteries plus a charger. On my wife's point and shoot I got 2 batteries for $9. On my last aa powered camera rechargeable nimh or nicads were useless a day after taking off the charger and were only good for a max 50 shots if I worked fast. Lithium AAs were good for about 400 shots without flash, with a shelf life of over a year. Alkalines were good for mabee 100 shots Current camera with the special lithium polymer battery pack is good for closer to 800 shots and recharges in an hour.. I'd NEVER go back. I can't immagine a cell phone running on AAs It would be twice as bulky as my smart phone and I'd have a big box of dead or half-dead batteries flying around. Putting in fresh batteries every day or so just to be sure it doesn't die is a PAIN. I just plug mine in every night. I carry a charger in the car but in over 5 years it has NEVER gone dead on me - even when I was away from home and didn't charge it for 3 days.. There are AA powered rechargers that you can carry with you for emergency recharges.

Reply to
clare

If you are using a smartphone all the time (display on, accessing the network for data continually, using bluetooth or WiFi), an overnight charge is almost completely used during a 16 hour workday of the Li-polymer battery.

I submit that two AAA (not AA) Ni-hydride batteries would easily provide

16 hrs standby plus a reasonable hour or so of talk time if it had no display / WiFi / Bluetooth. Some people really don't use those functions. Two AAAs would not be much more bulky than current Li-polymers. So instead of carrying a charger that uses AAs, just carry a few AAA lithiums for true (911) emergencies.
Reply to
Mike Duffy

That is theory. Here is fact. The battery on my smartphone is 1/2 the thickness of the diameter of a AAA battery and 3 diameters wide - it is 8 watt hours of power or 2100mah. at 3.8 volts. AAA nimh batteries peak out at about 1000mah - half the capacity of the little lithium in my smartphone. My smartphone is on wifi virtually all day - it got a lot of use today and WILL require a full charge. It would have pretty well exhaused 2 sets of AAA high quality nimh batteries. It would have killed at least

3 sets of enerloops. 2 sets of good standard alkalines would be consumed.
Reply to
clare