Those bloody bath taps

I need some advice. I have a regular set of bath taps (2 handle faucet with the shower plunger in the middle). The Threads are worn in the seats - can't re-tap them. The surround tile is real nice stuff and I can't replace this.(match up). Am I looking at a complete tile job to replace the taps or can I do the job with the 10 spare matching tiles that the previous owner left under the vanity. To remove the tap divertor and spout area it would take 8 tiles plus one for on top where the shower spout is. Guess the main worry is if I have to, for some reason remove the verticle row of tiles that cover the area where the shower pipe leaves the divertor and ends at the shower spout.
Can you get at it from behind the wall?
Your teasing me now. Naw, it's an outside wall.

They sell a retro kit for just what you have. It ends up being a single faucet and there is a cover plate that runs out left and right to cover the old holes etc. I saw it on Ask This Old House, maybe you can find pictures of it there?
Rich

You might try some sort of rotary tool like a Dremel or Roto-Zip to remove the grouting and spare the tiles.
Yes. This is a real old house and it appears that at one time there was a claw foot tub and all the piping was outside. I thought about that idea and this would be fine if the backing was blue board or regular drywall as the tile would come off. my worry is if it's plywood. I think this is a job where I can just jump into and hope for the best and expect the worst - think i'll try the dremel.
snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

Don't forget to look at what is on the other side of the taps. Is it a room, or is it an outside wall? If it is a room, would it be simpler to change the taps by removing part of the wall in that room. It is certainly easier to repair a piece, even a big piece, of wall board than to mess with tile.