Those bloated plastic tool cases

I am doing some garage cleaning and I just tossed out all those huge bloated tool cases that power tools come in. For example, I have an 18v battery reciprocating saw. The saw itself only requires a few inches of space on my shelf, but the huge ugly case takes up half the shelf. I can fit all my power tools in one cabinet, but all those cases take up a whole shelf on the wall. Am I the only person that hates those cases and tosses them in the garbage, or does everyone find them annoying? I'm just curious.
It seems these companies make those molded plastic boxes as large as they can, yet the tool itself has to fit into a tiny place inside the case and that usually means the battery and blade has to be removed to allow it to fit. Then the rest of the case is just wasted space, and they dont even allow a space to put blades and such because they fly all over the case and fall out when opening it. My garage is too small as it is, and I surely dont have the space to waste on those things.
I'm just curious what others do with them?
Gary
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

I throw them away for the same reasons that you mention. When I buy a new tool nowadays, I pay for it, then I open it up to make sure everything is in the box that is supposed to be there. Then I put all the parts back in the cardboard box and give the plastic container to the clerk. If there is no cardboard box with it, I put everything in a bag.
They always act incredulous and ask me if I am sure that I don't want it. I tell them I have no use whatsoever for it and leave it with them. One less thing to throw away.
I am waiting for a hammer with a case.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

provide your own tools on the jobsite. Yeah, most probably are bigger than they need to be, to give a Big Tuff look in the store. But they do offer a whole lot more protection than a stamped-steel box or old milk crate in the back of the truck. All that extra space lets the inside pocket be isolated from the vibrations and crushing the outside receives.
I'd pay a few bucks extra for a logically designed case that could hold an assembled tool, with compartments for all the usual accessories that travel with it. Cases where you have to tear the tool down completely each time are a pain.
Sears has been the biggest offender, and not just on power tools. For a few years, their mechanics tool sets came in cases like that, with no extra places for oddball sockets or extra tools to go. They seem to have switched back to traditional boxes lately. Dewalt and Makita, along with Milwaukee, seem to provide the best carry cases, with real latches and such, but are still often short on blade pockets.
Since I'm not currently using tools for a living, mine seldom leave the house, but I do keep them in the boxes, for the few that have boxes. (After 20 years in an apartment, I am slowly rebuilding my tool library, depending heavily on garage sales until a good sale comes along, or I Really Need a particular tool around the house.) If and when I ever get around to setting up a bench, they will probably have dedicated slots on shelf, with the empty cases going in dead storage, which this place has plenty of.
aem sends...
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 00:24:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

If I was traveling with my tools I might keep more of them. But since I don't, I have just 2 [of maybe a dozen or so] in my shop.
Ryobi made a nice case for the old ?7? volt cordless drill I own. You can put the drill with a screw bit in the case- battery attached. And it still has slots for a second battery, the charger, and some misc. bits/drills.
The other one I use came with a Dremel tool in it. Part of it was already set up to hold a bunch of Dremel bits- I used the Dremel tool to open up the rest to hold 2 more little boxes of Dremel accessories- one is all cut off discs- the other is rarely used bits. That Dremel sits in the garage on the bench- I have another in the basement. The box that has Dremel embossed in the side makes it easy to remember where all my bits are. [part of it might just be years- but I also have a weird disease that makes remembering the simple-est things a crap shoot some days]
Jim

first thing I do is toss the cases they are way too big.
started doing what my father in law does, a old suitcase right sized for each tool or tool group.
another too box question why are they all brite colors? regular tool boxes? i prefer grey or black black ideally it stays looking good a long time and doesnt show dirt.
geez the brite pinks and purples look gaudy to me
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 06:13:13 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Those are for gay guys. Didn't anyone tell you? <LOL>

The rarely used one I _usually_ keep in the cases. Anything I use regularly are out where I can grab them without fumbling around with a case. 90% of those have the last bit, blade, whatever that I used in them still there. If it comes to having to tear a tool down to put it in a case, the case disappears at the first use. Most of them you can't get everyting back in anyhow as the cord usually needs to be neatly and tightly bundled, including applying a wire tie. Cordless are a bit better.
Someone else mentioned the nice neat storeage of all the bits and pieces and I have the same problem, instant 'fall out' when the case is opened.
My opinion is that life is too short to be screwing around with a case.
Harry K
On Dec 9, 12:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

Some of tool cases show up on eBay. Makes sense if you need a case and happen to bid on a tool without one.
Joe
Maybe I'm old school but I prefer metal cases. They are more durable.

And more usable. Those plastics are a booger to cut out so you can use the case part. With the metal, they were good for a lot of things, many times with little or no modifications.
Steve

Yeah, I miss the old milwaukee cordless drill metal case. Now, THAT was a case. I hate those plastic cases where you have to get everything just so to get the tool to fit. Funny to think about tool cases, cause I realize some tools I always use the case and others never, without ever thinking about it. I always keep my sawzall case (keep track of the cord and a handful of blades). Also my Jigsaw case. Also a cordless drill case (charger, bits, extra battery). And my 18 gauge brad nailer case. Never keep a circ saw case. Or a framing nailer case. Got a cordless dewalt set and it comes in a bag. what a joke. I suppose it depends on how many accessories come with the tool.