Those 8 ft. heating/cooling registers from the '50s

that were placed under windows to create a wide distribution of air - were they a good idea?
I'm renovating a late '50s house with these babies and am wondering whether to simply terminate the ducts (3x12) with modern floor registers or strip the drooly old paint from the old ones and refinish them.
Looking for the best airflow for both heat and a/c.

Suggest that you have the duct system evaluated..IF you are looking for the best performance for your unit. Its not allways about the max airflow to a room..its about more than that.
Your registers are only part of the system. Some work better than others, and if the duct systems wrong, there isnt alot you can do about that but fix it.

Long skinny registers are still used today in some commerical applications. If that is the look you want then go for it.
The comment about evulating the whole system is valid. What I remember from the 50's these were used to wash the wall area with heat mostly. Most worked poorly on the edges. I do not know if that was poor air or design. Try these folks, I have had good luck with them in the past. http://www.atlantasupply.com/register-grille.htm