This should be REQUIRED CURRICULUM in every US school.

Page 2 of 2
Oscar_Lives wrote:

My, my, my. Some bad foreigner must have got into this poor man welfare line. What where you doing there? Too lazy to work?
It will be a surprise for you, but there is no such a thing as "our jobs" anymore. It's called global economy, sweetheart, put up with it or shut up!

Because I treasure the opportunity of meeting such refined gentlemen such as yourself, asshole! Now grab your banana, go back to your cage and stay there.

You've already got my "banana" in your mouth...

Bull Crap. Read the job applications. I interview some of these dropouts. I ask them why they did not finish school. They CHOOSE to drop out. I see them all the time. I rarely hire them. Sure, in some cases it is a real problem, (and I did hire this young man) but most are just too damned lazy to finish school. I get answers like "it was too hard" or "the teachers were not very good" or "I didn't like the way the school was run" How about "I don't think I need no English classes"
Next question I ask is about getting a GED. Typical answers are "my probation officer tell me I should" and some have genuine reasons like "I ain't gota car so I can't get there". Of course "there" is less than a mile walk.
Don't display your ignorance in newsgroups.

Hmm- can't argue with teaching kids that learning a marketable skill is a good survival tactic. But along with that, maybe we need to teach them to DON'T FRIGGING BUILD YOUR HOUSE BELOW SEA LEVEL, OR MOVE INTO A NEIGHBORHOOD BELOW SEA LEVEL. (Or the Califirnia variant, don't build your house on telephone poles on the side of a bare mountain, or over a fault line.)
aem sends...
I agree with this line of thought. Kids should be taught at an early age that the government can't offer them a handout all their lives. Education will put these very kids in charge of their own destiny and not keep them dependent on someone else (govt) for a handout. Reading, writing, arithmetic and being able to understand follow simple, but important, instructions like... "you need to evacuate right now" will help them in their future.
Djay