The affluent of New Orleans had options. Most of them got out ahead of the storm simply by turning their ignition keys. But a professor friend of mine stayed. However, when things got rough and the levees breached, he was able to drive right out of town in his SUV.
But if you couldn't afford a vehicle, you might have wound up in the Superdome, where there were few supplies and little security. With 20,000 folks in the building, bathrooms quickly broke down, and so did civility. I covered the story almost nonstop for days. I didn't see one affluent person in the Superdome. Not one.
The Bible says "the poor, they will always be with us," but it doesn't have to be that way here in America. Here we have compulsory, free public schools, scholarships and aid galore for higher education. We also have affirmative action, job training, GED opportunities, military training and options all over the place.
It is no accident that millions of poor people from all over the world sneak into America because they can make money here if they work hard. There are opportunities for people who can't even speak English.
Yet the racial hustlers and far left demagogues continue to sell victimization to Americans living in the poor precincts. The poverty pimps can't blame the establishment fast enough for ghettos and deprivation and even hurricanes. But you rarely hear the words "personal responsibility" when it comes to attacking the poverty problem.
Here's the end zone on this: The government can force your parents to send you to school but can't force you to learn. If you do not educate yourself or develop a marketable skill, chances are you will be poor and powerless. If you react to that situation by committing crimes or becoming addicted, you will sink further into the swamp of hopelessness and your life will be largely meaningless.
Let the kids see the poor in New Orleans and the suffering they endured. Then prod the children to connect the dots and wise up. Educate yourself, work hard,and be honest. Then, when disaster occurs, you will have a fighting chance to beat it.
If you don't do those things, the odds are that you will be desperately standing on a symbolic rooftop someday yourself. And trust me, help will not be quick in coming.
BY BILL O'REILLY Published Friday, September 9, 2005
Wow, that O'Reilly is so... deep...
This is the same guy who masturbates while having phone sex on a regular basis, isn't it?
Wow. So... deep...
Peter wrote:

No, you're confusing him with Bill Clinton.
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know

See, the difference is that Clinton actually has sex with women. O'Reilly is so pathetic that he has to harass a coworker who doesn't like him so that he can get off.

"Peter" wrote

Only when he sticks toys up himself. So deep...so deep
I wonder what the twits explanation is for those in CA that build their mansions to slide down the hills. Poor, poor education, or just plain stupid people.

Such a role model for our kids, eh? Yeah, this is the guy we want making curriculum decisions in our schools... A masturbating phone sex pervert.

Heh.
If he's saying government is essentially useless in trying to stop natural selection, he has a good point. Maybe someday he'll realize pundit ranting is even less effective.

I was surfin the channels the other night and BO had John Stossel on (from 20/20) and both were saying that is was rediculous that the government gives money to people to rebuild when they are in a "danger zone" (where natural disasters happen all the time) over and over again. He said (something to the effect) "and that includes people that live in Malibu that build their million dollar plus houses on the side of hills where mudslides happen or anywhere along the San Andreas fault line where they will be destroyed in an earthquake." John Stossel said he had a big house in the Hamptons that (basically) lost the entire first floor to a storm (wind and water damage) and FEMA gave him $250,000 to rebuild. As O'Reilly said "Where do they get that money to let people rebuild over and over again>" and Stossel says "You and me and the rest of the tax payers."
Not defending Bill O'Reilly, but occaisionally he says something that makes sense.....
Dr. Hardcrab wrote: As O'Reilly said "Where do they get that money to let

Wow, to say "occasionally" something that makes sense has become an achievemnet these days?
Of course if we compare with a commander in chief that "rarely" says something that make sense, "occasionally" is an achievemnt.

O.K.
and if Bush hadn't of stolen the election Al Gore would have saved the world.
I gotcha
*PLONK*
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

I wasn't going to suggest that, but now that you mention it, any other president would have saved the world from "W"

Plonk yourself

This is typical blather from America's most visible and vocal racist since George Wallace. Let's paint O'Reilly in blackface, strip him of his dollars and his identity, and see how he fares when dropped off in a flooded ghetto. Let him tell people to their faces that they're failures because it's in the Bible. He may be a financial success, but he's a gross failure as a human being.
God, what horse patootie. It's straight from the Aryan Nation textbook. And it doesn't belong in this newsgroup. Sorry, I thought I was in a different forum.
Keith

Baby, please don't go Baby, please don't go Baby, please don't go, down to New Orleans You know I love you so
Before I be your dog Before I be your dog Before I be your dog I get you way'd out here, and let you walk alone
Turn your lamp down low Turn your lamp down low Turn your lamp down low I beg you all night long, baby, please don't go
You brought me way down here You brought me way down here You brought me way down here 'bout to Rolling Forks, you treat me like a dog
Baby, please don't go Baby, please don't go Baby, please don't go, back the New Orleans I beg you all night long
Before I be your dog Before I be your dog Before I be your dog I get you way'd out here, and let you walk alone
You know your man down gone You know your man down gone You know your man down gone To the country farm, with all the shackles on

In spite of the negative comments of others, there is a very good point to be made here. While some of the poor people mentioned have serious problems beyond their control, too many are victims of their own self made problems. A big one is lack of education because they chose to drop out of school. Thanks for posting it.
People don't 'choose' to drop out. People 'have' to drop out. Many reasons, but poverty is the main one. Don't display your ignorance of social problems in this news group.
wrote in message

k wrote:

That's a rather naive stance. Have you interviewed every drop-out? Even if you base this on reports of the reasons, how many are going to tell the truth? Don't you think that people will rationalize in order to save face? Do you really expect them to say "I dropped out because I got tired of that bullshit." Certainly there are hardship cases, but you've implied that they are all hardship cases. I OTOH doubt that even half of them fall into this category.
hvacrmedic

RP wrote:

Even if your were right (you haven't interviewed every drop-out either) and 51% of the poor people are lazy bums, is this a good reason to paint all of them with the same brush as the OP and others do?
I was not born here and always makes me wonder why I and other foreigners seem to have more compassion for unfortunate Americans then their own people.
Compassionate consarvatives indeed!

I have compassion for the unfortunate. I have no compassion for those that choose to take a path of no education and poverty. Very few are denied an education in this country. For most it is FREE. Why then, does a principal of a Hartford CT school give out coupons for ice cream to bribe kids to come to school on the first day?
There are plenty of people for health reasons or disability that cannot do well and truly need assistance. But there are many, many more, that just don't give a crap and are too lazy to do anything about getting ahead and take that too easy to get public welfare check.
BTW, I'm not a conservative.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

True, but the solution is not to get rid of all welfare programs IMO. More poverty usually fathers even more poverty and more ignorance.
The social cost of educating someone in need is much, much less than the disruption caused by leaving that person ignorant.

Noted. I wasn't trying to stick a label on you or anyone else, only to put ridicule, as deserved, on that "compassionate conservative" bullshit.

True, but the ones that do not want to do anything should be cut off from free money. Workfare is a good idea.

Agree, but you can't make them read books and learn if they don't want to. There has to be some motivationor reward for doing well.
Thee are some people that do not have the ability, that is a different situation.

Because we pay taxes that pay for your lazy asses coming over here and clogging our welfare lines and your people taking our jobs.
Why don't you foreigners stay the fuck away from the US that you hate so much and go home where it is better.