This Old [millionaires] House

Page 3 of 4

"Guess"????? Boy I sure hope she doesn't read this NG! :-)
Hope you make 25 tax returns and many more.
--
Red...

"If women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
willshak wrote:

AIUI, the companies providing stuff have to provide a *LOT* of product, far more than actually gets used on the project in the TOH show, and pay a hefty cash fee for the products to be shown on the TOH show.
Morash's production company is, again AIUI, *not* a non profit educational outfit, and sure doesn't operate like one.

$30k complete kitchen remodel is actually cheap. $30k may just barely cover high end appliances. $100K kitchen madeover is not that unusual. http://remodeling.hw.net/industry-news.asp?articleIDy167&sectionID%1
The trick is to spend $30K and have it look like $100K. DIY, layout planning, material selection and smart shopping helps a lot.

"Smart shopping"... starting with skipping the high end appliances! :^)
My $350 GE dishwasher washes dishes (that's its job, right?) as well as any fancy model with a stainless front panel.
Eric Law

Yeah...I don't understand this high end appliance thing. I know someone who remodeled their kitchen and installed a $4000.00 Viking range. My son hung out at the kid's house often over a period of 5 years. He said the fanciest food he ever saw made was Stouffer's frozen mac & cheese. On a typical day, it was take out pizza or Chinese food.

Status, increase property value and sometimes you find someone who really use all of it to cook up a storm. Some exclusive neighborhoods demand high end components or you're stuck not able to sell the house or sell at a much reduced price.
Wife was a professional cook so she could use every bit of it. You need to make the distinction that high end that has the looks but is not really commercial restaurant quality. Restaurant components in some cases could even be much cheaper than the imitations.
See that Asian lady on TV cooking something like 20 main dishes for a special feast with just one burner? She needs no stinking high end appliances, she doesn't even have a refrigerator. I better not remind my wife about that or I'll get frozen dinners for the next month.
I know someone who

I'm using a 12 year old electric range that's in perfect shape, and has only needed the burner sockets replaced due to corrosion. I'd rather have a decent gas stove, but this thing works beautifully.

Another problem with TOH and many of the other shows on the DIY Network is that the original shows ran once a week. Now they are re- running them every day, multiple times a day. Unfortunately there just wasn't enough eposides written for their to be enough unique shows and they show the same projects over and over again. Add to that the fact that aren't running any of the Bob Villa shows (contractual issues?) so that limits the TOH projects to the limited number that prep-boy Steve hosted.
A sure sign that they have flooded the market with DIY shows is the new show "The Inside Job". This "behind the scenes" show keeps the cameras rolling after the taped portions are over to show you how a home improvement show is made. It also shows the show being taped by using extra cameras to get the production crew on camera. What's next? Cameras to film the cameramen who are filming the cameramen who are filming the show? "Inside the Inside Job"
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_disj /
on 10/19/2007 3:28 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:

I hated Bob Vila. Did you ever notice that he has to touch everything? Besides, I think that it was mandatory for everyone to say his name when responding. I don't think he knew much about home building, other than what the script had written down..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

re: I don't think he knew much about home building, other than what the script had written down..
I was watching his painfully boring latest show - Home Again - the other day.
A crew was cleaning an aluminum sliding door that was pitted by the salt air in Florida.
Bob: So tell us, what are you using to clean the door? Worker: Well, Bob, it's basically a chemical compound that stops the corrosion and shines the aluminum. Bob: So it's basically a chemical compound that stops the corrosion and shines the aluminum? Puzzled Worker: Uh....yes. Me: Arrrggghhhh! Remote Control: Click!

Ovwer time, I did too. That Sears whore would always cut people off when they were talking. I hear he became a HSN whore.

--
Red...

"If women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

That's funny what you said about Bob Vila.
You know what my pet peeve of the new TOH and Ask TOH shows is? Overuse of the the word "space".
Does any one agree with me that the word "SPACE" is way overused by Kevin O. and others on the show?? Sometime if I'm bored, I'm going to watch a show with a pencil and paper and put a hash mark down each someone says the word "space".
"This space will be the master bedroom. The designer is going to decorate this space with a vintage purple shag carpet from circa 1970 to give this space a groovy, free-lovin', disco, 70's feel. The walls in this space will carpeted with a contrasting color to complete the feel of this space"
spam disintegrator wrote:

I guess in a lot of new homes, you just can't tell what ROOM you're in ;-) Also, maybe we are returning to one room houses -make that- one space.
-larry / dallas

I find it hard to understand the shows where they are shopping for a new house or adding onto the old because the old house was only 4000 square foot. We've raised two kids and never lived in anything larger than 1450 sq. ft., except for an old farm house we rented when first married. How on earth do they pay the taxes on those big places. Here in N. Illinois, I know of people paying over $12,000 per year Real Estate taxes, driving big SUV's and Lexus' and I read that the high paying jobs have left this area. Must be a lot of people dealing drugs or something.
Tom G.

I agree. They seem to show the same sets of shows on an endless loop on DIY. They are hopelessly out of touch from what the common slob can afford to do. They did that house in Carlile, MA. What a joke. You could have fit my house in the basement of the "L" they added on. They hire exterior designers, and closet designers. (there's a carrer is designing closets????)
And what's up with the HVAC systems they put in these houses??? Shit, I bet they are spendy!!!!
Did anyone see the shows where they did George's (ugly) house? What's up with that guy? How could one person need so much space? He must be gay!! They spent 80,000 on a teak staircase! I'll bet he has over a million into that ugly ass house.
What's up with Kevin O'Conner? He looks like a grown up version of Ralphie from a "Christmas Story" and is a dumbass to boot. I seen a show where he was helping Tom Silva do something, and all Tom got done was telling Ralphie how to do stuff.
I still watch the show infrequently, but it doesn't relate to the kinds of projects I would do. I always thought "Hometime" did a much better job of that.
on 10/20/2007 8:44 AM J.A. Michel said the following:

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Old_House "Kevin O'Connor </wiki/Kevin_O%27Connor_%28television%29> is the current host. Before O'Connor joined the cast, he was a homeowner who appeared on /Ask This Old House/ having problems with wallpaper removal"
They apparently liked his demeanor.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Kevin O'Conner asks dumb questions so that Tom Silva will be able to present the material to the audience in a way that seems natural. Think of Kevin as the shill in the audience. If I recall correctly, they "discovered" Kevin when he sent a question to Ask This Old House. He'd done a lot of work on his own house, but had some issue that they thought would be interesting to have on ATOH. He looked good on camera, and his predecessory (Steve) was ready to leave, so they hired Kevin. Before being on TOH, Kevin was an attorney.
Cindy Hamilton

I was watching TOH last night. They were installing the tank for a septic system. As the scene opened, Richard Trethewey had his hands on the septic tank as it was being lowered into place by the crane. He was calling out commands - "Easy", "Slowly", "OK, keep coming". Kevin appears on camera and starts talking to Rich about the system. Rich takes his hands off the tank, and begins walking with, and talking to, Kevin about the installation process.
Meanwhile, the camera shows the crane still lowering the tank into the hole, and I'm like "OK, if Rich was *really* guiding this massive tank into place, who's doing it now?" It was obvious that it was all for show and they didn't need Rich's help at all. I had to laugh!

That's good. I'd expect the real guide was using hand signals, or maybe a radio.
Cindy Hamilton
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was watching an interview of that blond who was on one of the "you can do it" type shows sponsored by home cheepo. It was the show where just her and her male partner would accomplish stupendous stuff in a weekend like remodeling the basement and adding a sauna and steamroom after relocating the gas service and sewer line. Or adding a huge wraparound deck on a home.
She went on to describe that she was a model and didn't have a clue about construction and that someplace else would place all of the tiles for example and they would pose her and film her placing the last one.