This isn't quite home repair but ......................

I recently bought a used Monkey Wards tiller. It has a 5HP Briggs & Stratton engine and needs a new muffler.

The muffler is about 4" x 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" thick and is held on by 2 (probably 1/4") bolts.

The head also has a threaded 3/4" pipe thread, so I'm thinking that I might have a choice of mufflers here.

The previous owner claims that the engine is a model #130202.

The 'Operating Instructions' sheet covers models 100200 > 100292 and 130200 > 130292.

I have not found quite what I'm looking for, from my searches and would appreciate it if you have a suggestion.

TIA.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

You can buy a generic muffler that will work just fine at just about any hardware store or place that sells yard equipment.

Reply to
salty

Yes, probably. I know that's the case for the 10HP B+S engine in my lawn tractor (and my wife's brother has an 8HP B+S engine on his mower and it's the case there, although the pipe diameter is smaller)

My local farm supply place sells a generic round muffler for my 10HP engine (I've never looked to see if they do smaller ones for smaller engines). The threads are actually the same as the stock stuff in the steel pipe section of the store, so I just bought a muffler and a section of 6" pipe (I think the stuff mine needed was 1" diameter). Total cost for both was about 7 bucks.

(The problem I had was that the threads were pretty much stripped out of the engine block - I made up a bracket for now to support the muffler and stop it coming off, but one day hopefully I'll find a way of welding a proper flange to the pipe so it can be bolted to the block instead)

On my engine it was stamped on the front of the metal engine cover, above the spark plug - but someone had resprayed the engine at some point in time with enough paint that it wasn't visible; pulling the cover off allowed me to read the model number from the reverse side.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson