This is cool !

Now this is cool! It could change the economy of the world if they advance it further.
Electric solar sweaters among other things, there is no limit to this technology.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0114_050114_solarplastic.html
That is cool. Saddly, you never hear about these things again. Either the hoped for improvements never come about, or the cost never comes down.
toller wrote:

It's not that, it's pure mathematics. In the US, the average energy reaching the earth from the sun is about 200 watts per square meter. The only way to increase this amount is to move the earth's orbit closer to the sun.
At 100% efficiency, to supply the electricity requirements of California, you would need a solar collector about the size of the Los Angeles basin (which, when you think on it, is not such a bad idea).
The main dude says:
"If we could cover 0.1 percent of the Earth's surface with [very efficient] large-area solar cells," he said, "we could in principle replace all of our energy habits with a source of power which is clean and renewable."
This is 197,000 square miles (509,000 square kilometers). And of course the collectors need to be fairly close to the end users.
No, you cannot run this world off of sunbeams.
Plastics = Carcenogens
See Effi's Fiberglass post too.
I think all things will probably get cancer if we go to a clean renewable energy type. Yep, Even Effi.
Matt, You missed this one So I thought I'd throw in a quick Jab.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB