"This Is An Important Message Regarding Your Credit Card/Auto Warranty/..."

Page 3 of 3

I'd use one of those devices if the telemarketers paid for one.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm sorry. Please show me where I said you needed to buy one. I merely stated I loved mine. Bone up on your reading comprehension, man.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

This was discussed repeatedly on Usenet when the TeleZappers came out- many of the local telcos took a very dim view of them, because if anyone got the fake warning and reported it as an outage, it was extra work for phone company, not to mention they would sometimes lock your line out, thinking there was an actual problem. Note that many of the robot call machines quickly were reprogrammed to ignore the three tones.
Simpler just to screen calls with an answering machine, or (if you don't mind enriching ma bell) pay for caller ID. I refuse to pay extra for something the switch does anyway, just to feed a profit center, but that is just me. (Same thing as when they brought touch-tone on line way back when, and that exchange already had an electronic switch.)
-- aem sends...

Sorry if I ticked you off, Steve. I apologize. My question was more or less rhetorical. I believe that I should not have to buy a $40 gadget to prevent telemarketers from calling me, since they are intruding on my privacy. I can fully understand you like the telezapper for your use, and you are most welcome to it. This is still a mostly free society, and people are free to market and buy anything they want. Again, I apologize if I said my thing wrongly.
--
Best regards
Han
SteveB wrote:

If you have an answering machine, you don't need a TeleZapper. I have one or two by the way. What you do is call a disconnected number and record the whole announcement which usually repeats 2 times and at the end of each has the three SIT tones "Special Information Tones". You use this as your answering machine message, but you have to let friends and family know about it. When an autodialer detects the tones, it marks it as a bad number in it's database and does not call it again. This message also confuses the hell out of the phone company. "We're sorry, you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service........" Watch all those tool free numbers dwindle on your caller ID unit.
TDD

Using the answering machine I was screening all my calls during last Presidential election. I got 5-15 political calls each day, eventually leaving the phone unplugged for 3 weeks. I'm on the "Do Not Call List" (since April 2008) but it is exempt from political campaigning. I guess I do not always have a right to a working phone in peace.
On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 17:54:21 -0400, in alt.home.repair, Phisherman

I'm beginning to wonder if I couldn't get one of those 900 numbers, where the caller pays $$$ per minute for the privilege of talking to me. I'd have to have a way to quickly make refunds to anyone I actually wanted to hear from, but aside from that I'd listen to a telemarketer's pitch script all day long, at $3.95/minute that is.

Move to Indiana.
We have a *very* strict do-not-call at the state level, and it is enforced vigorously -- and it prohibits political robo-calls.

I have been getting the same receorded meesage for past months. "This is an important message regarding your current credit card account. We have made several attempts to reach you. This is your final courtesy call before we are unable to lower your credit card interest rate. Press 1 to speak to a member services department or press 2 and your eligibility will expire." I have pressed 1 in the past in an attempt to get the company name or phone #. Told service representative not to call me anymore because I'm on the do not call list, so representative hung up on me. Another time I asked to call them back with a phone #, rep did not give a call back #. Credit services may be a false name. This same recorded message still keep on calling my home phone. I have pressed 2 before with no end in this recorded message. I need to get at least a real company name or phone # for do not call complaint to have a chance to be effective.
Tom
On 03/09/09 03:06 pm snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I had another such call this morning, but whether it was in fact from the same telemarketer as the previous calls I have no idea. I selected the option to speak to a representative, who told me her name and asked for my phone number. I gave it to her and immediately said that I had chosen to speak to a human being because I did not want them to call me ever again. She replied that they would put me on the Do Not Call list. Time will tell. I'll have to make a note of the number: (305) 836-7371, which appears to be in Florida; is that the same number from which others have received calls?
Perce

which will tell you who made the call and will lead you to websites that provide more details -- usually a string of reports from others who were harassed from the same number.

If I'm on the computer or something else that's easy to multi task, I take the call. I act interested for about 30 seconds, then add a worried sounding "Oh!, can you hold on for a sec?. . .", then put the phone down. They will stay on for 30 sec or a minute, thus preventing them from bothering others during that time.
Oh, I also ask them to send me stuff in the mail, but don't give them my address. Presumably they have it already. I explain what with fraud and all, not that they are, but I don't give out personal info on the phone, but if they'd like to mail me the info, I'll take a look at it.
--
charles

Hey SPAMMER
What the hell does this have to do with home repair?
PLONK
Abby wrote:

The FCC has been deluged with complaints about the auto warranty scam, but thus far has been unable to shut them down.

I've gotten those calls. I suppose they don't know that my only vehicle at the moment is over 10 years old.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

just remember that they have to IN the house and they can't be shot in the back. With those two privisos, you should be good to go.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Nope. First, it doesn't matter if they're in your house, on the sidewalk, a block away, or on the moon. Most jurisdictions hold that if you feel your life was in danger, you have the right to respond with deadly force [without regard to distance].
In some enlightened jurisdictions (mine, for example), it's even okay to shoot them in the back. For example:
Texas Penal Code 9.42 Deadly Force to Protect Property. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary: (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery,... theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery,... or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property...
If someone is torching a church, for example, and refuses all your entreaties to turn and face you so you can shoot them, what are you going to do?
Anyway, after you smoke the mope, just clean your gun and go back to watching "Dancing with the stars" - there's no need to even call it in.