"This Is An Important Message Regarding Your Credit Card/Auto Warranty/..."

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:17:22 -0400, Abby wrote:

You are one of millions who has been called by a hard core telemarket law violator. They use fake caller ID, and ignore the do not call list.
Report them to your state's Attorney General and the Do Not Call violation complaint site.
https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx
AT&T is suing to find out who they really are and then stop them.
Links to news items about it:
http://consumerist.com/5165131/who-the-hell-are-these-people-calling-my-cellphone-about-a-car-warranty
http://tinyurl.com/d5ssuq
http://consumerist.com/5147530/att-mobility-sues-over-auto-warranty-robocalls
http://tinyurl.com/depbc9
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.
Tony Sivori wrote:

http://consumerist.com/5165131/who-the-hell-are-these-people-calling-my-cellphone-about-a-car-warranty
Glad to see the FTC is on the case, but I thought they ran out of coupons?
On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:46:45 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

I assume you mean converter box coupons? If so, they got stimulus funds and are shipping coupons again. As Fark says, "Our long national nightmare is over. TV converter box coupons flowing again" :-)
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

number list and selling it to off-shore telemarketers who are not bothered by the law and use it as a proven list of people who have valid phone numbers. You can't win, they get you no matter what.
On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:57:30 -0400, EXT wrote:

They don't get me. I'm on the Do Not Call list (U.S. version) and I get almost no calls at all. A very tiny fraction of what it used to be. I have to wonder if the "use the no call list as a do call list" is an often repeated rumor designed to keep people from putting their phone number on the list.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

You can still win. You just automatically tell every telemarketeer to piss off, with as much elaboration as you feel like adding.

him, but I've always used the home phone for my business, since I rarely get calls. Answering the phone, "Good morning, Business Name, how may I help you", gets most of the telemarketers to ask, "Is this a business?" and when I answer affirmatively, they almost always say, "Sorry, we're only calling residences" and hang up. If they as for me by name (usually with such a thick accent I can hardly understand them) I say, "I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to take personal calls at work, you'll have to call me at home," and hang up on them. They rarely call back.

Oh, I hat it when they send me a fax and use my paper. I called then and said I wanted to take the trip. After hearing some of the details, I told them I was afraid to fly so could I take a bus.
I also received a fax to sell me toner and ink. The idiots gave an 800 fax number to reply with the order. My computer fax can be set to show any number and name I want so I sent them a fax. A long fax. and another fax. and another fax.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Oh Ed, you beast, you violated the law. Expect a federal SWAT team any moment. Oh yea, the Feds won't do anything about the other outlaws so I guess you're safe.
TDD
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think paying for a WATS (800) number entitles you to a bill that includes a list of phone numbers which have called in. Dunno whether that includes over-riding a blocked number.

There is nothing to override, since toll-Free numbers don't use Caller ID. They use an older service called ANI that is not affected by CID blocking.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

If it's delivered to a "target number" (really just a call forward to a regular line) and you subscribe to caller id (name and number) you will get the number and usually the name. The only exception is some government numbers (mental hospitals, cia, etc) that are blocked. Since you are paying for the call, you are entitled to receive the number, and name if there is one in the database. Older trunk service was limited to ani, but just about all calls now route via ss-7.
We get thousands of calls each month on 4 lines with 800 service and only miss one of two number/name each month. Our non 800 lines only average 60% unblocked cid, and 1/3 of those have no name (cell and voip calls).
That's one way the web companies gather the unlisted/non-pub numbers. Want to keep a private number. don't call any 800 number.
wrote in message

Some faxes allow you to loop two or three sheets with tape so it just keeps on sending and sending and sending and sending and sending ...... sometimes we just left it on leaving work on Friday.
you get the idea.
Steve
wrote in message

You CAN take a bus to Cancun. You have to go through Mexico, but you can.
If YOU sent the fax, you're paying the phone charges. Unless it's a local number or you have a one-price phone bill, the joke's on you.

It was to an 800 (toll free) number.

So what? There are plenty of people who pay for minutes used, not just long distance. What if you're faxing from your Tracfone? You're still paying for minutes. Yes, if it's a landline with a standard phone plan, the phone call is free. Still a huge timewaster. Besides, who keeps their fax machine on unless they're expecting a fax?

So what? There are plenty of people who pay for minutes used, not just long distance. What if you're faxing from your Tracfone? You're still paying for minutes. Yes, if it's a landline with a standard phone plan, the phone call is free. Still a huge timewaster. Besides, who keeps their fax machine on unless they're expecting a fax?
Anyone dumb enough to fax from a Tracfone deserves to pay. Most businesses leave the fax on all the time too. We often come in to find a couple of faxes sent overnight or from other parts of the world.
Abby wrote:

are doubled.
I always hit number to speak to a live operator. It costs them time and money.
If you ask where they are calling from or ream them out they always hang up. So best, if you're up to it, is to string them out and let them waste more time. Never feel sorry for these people as they are breaking the law.
Most amusing call I had was from the expired auto warranty people. When operator answered he asked make and model of car and I told him, "Since you called me you must have the information." to which he hung up.
If I'm on the computer, here's a childish url I bring up for them to listen to:

Abby wrote:

Well there are laws about someone throwing a brick through your window but it can happen. Sp obviously if some riff-raff does that you get whomever enforces that law involved.
There is a form on the do not call web site to report such self important riff-raff who feel laws don't apply to them:
https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx
When the complaints pile in then there is reason to start action.

I love my TeleZapper!
Steve