This is a bit off the subject,but..

May I ask a semi-relevant question here? I want to know a sell-phone term and don't know where to ask, but I don't want to get kicked off this forum. Somebody might know answer....
don't quote me, but...... wrote:

What is it you want to know?
My Cellphone/PDA is about to give up the ghost. Keeps losing its memory...Alzheimers settling in, like with me, I suspect. My Sprint plan requires one arm, one leg, and a lifetime contract to get a new phone. I found a perfect replacement on eBay, except that it has a "bad ESN" I don't know what that means. The seller says it's ESN is unclear, probably because the former owner didn't pay his bill. In order to make the cell phone work, I'd have to know somebody who knows how to "clear the ESN" or get somebody at Sprint to clear it for me. No guarantees that I could do that, naturally. I am guessing that the ESN might be the phone's internal identity or serial number? If somebody buys a used phone, does that mean they have to know the seller's pedigree, including their mother's maiden name, their credit rating, and what their father does for a living? Thanks so much! Liz
becks wrote:

Hi Liz, I gave a long answer to your private account, hope you receive it ok. Cheers Becks
cell phone MUST match company you plan on using it with !!!!!!!!!!
Originally some could be matched to any company but thats no longer the case!
use e bay phone finder to choose your phone, remember when changing models sometimes the cost of accessoreies can overwhelm cost of phone, things like vehicle chargers cases etc.
lastly get one from a seller with good feedback guaranteed activatable.
if someone left a big balance due you probably cant activate it on your account.
of you contract is over check with other carriers, then visit yours, tell them i am looking at verizon whats your best deal? i hate long term contracts and changing phones so i understand the issues.
finally a cheap phone that doesnt work is money completely wasted.
An "Unloacked" phone works on any network. They have these on ebay. Try asking a freind who is a gadget feak if they have any old phones. I knew people at my last job with drawers full of them. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Check out Cingular and Verizon. You can take your same number with you when you go and they may have a brand new phone for free or cheap. Usually a 2 year contract though.

A bad ESN means one of two things. Either the phone is from an account with an unpaid balance that someone has to pay before any provider will activate it or the phone has been reported stolen and will never be activated unless you can prove that you are the original owner. No one can change an ESN. Not even the manufacture. (ESN is the Electronic Serial Number) I am a little surprised that the seller is honest enough to admit that he is selling a brick. Bob
-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times www.moondoggiecoffee.com
Move to verizon. Sprint's network sucks anyway.
--
Steve Barker

"don\'t quote me, but......" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
THANK YOU ALL. I think I know now what I needed to know, and what I should do. Shoot myself. Use a tin can and a string. Become Amish. Learn Semaphore. I have lots of options. Seriously...I won't buy that attractive, but very risky phone. Too risky. I'm too cheap to throw money away. Liz
don't quote me, but...... wrote:

On 9 Jul 2006 14:15:22 -0700, "don't quote me, but......"

You have been morphed to alt.cellular for CELL phones for SELL phones, try Ebay.
Become Amish !!!!!
Have you tried a new battery?