This group

Page 2 of 2

I bought a Zyxel 2400 baud modem years ago (days of the sysops). Price was over $900 but if you were a sysop of a BBS you paid slightly under $400.

What is a non-free Usenet? or a non-free newsgroup?
Some of Usenet is moderated but it is all free, so if something isn't free, it's not Usenet.

Yes indeed, it is free. It is good free access that is disappearing.
Charlie

Access was never free, it was just part of something else you paid for (ad money gets bundled into the price of what you buy from that ad), I agree when an ISP drops "free" usenet it is a price increase but who cuts prices? Personally I would rather have top notch service I pay for than mediocre service, loaded with ads for free. If you disagree, check out google groups or the stucco company.
Mitch wrote:

Usenet may come back. I know Windows is moving to web based forums for Windows 7. I think they suck. It's difficult to find anything and sucks compared to a news reader and it's tree format. Some of the Linux groups have moved to web based forums too. They suck compared to the ease of Usenet. Some are moving to Freenet or Freenode on IRC which is live real time newsgroups. Perhaps because of better control from spam flooders and the ill behaved.
I guess there are just so many ways to fix a dripping faucet, and they have all been discussed here over and over, ad nauseum.
Many years ago, decades really, magazines like Popular Science and Popular Mechanics were enjoying good sales because of their on topic content, and were good sources of how to do just about everything from wiring a 3-way switch to repairing a washing machine.
But, as those kinds of articles began appearing less and less, their having been already covered (once is enough) as do they in this group, those magazines lost readership because of their content.
An article on the space shuttle program is certainly interesting, informative and educational, but doesn't belong on the pages of Popular Mechanics.
Just an opinion, analogous to what's happening here.
Joe
P.S. Some of you who have flamed me will probably have to look up the meaning of analogous.

I prefer cunninglingus, er, wait, is that something similar?
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 08:25:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J O E) wrote:

Don't let the door hit you in the ass, on the way out.
kr williams ( snipped-for-privacy@att.biz) wrote:

Spoken with the benefit of much experience.