This DIY Power Outlet Adds a Pair of Good-Looking Plugs to Any Desk or Surface

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 09:56:48 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

COme to think of it, I've never seen one that didn't have mounting holes. I don't always (but usually) use them but the outlets are never facing up.

None of mine do. They're either on their side or fastened to something. I don't like lots of cords free to tangle (or trip over).
On 02/02/2013 06:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I've seen a few of those (attached to wall), and even have one in the garage. However, nearly all power strips are just set on some horizontal surface (floor, table, etc...). The outlets are all pointing up.
Also, such attachment interferes with changes.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Right, but they're not flush with the desk top.
Flush with the desk top means they will accumulate paper-clips, dimes, spilled coffee, itty-bitty screws, and other detritus.
In any event, if you use a power-strip AND you have a collection of wall-warts, you may need these outlet saver extensions (actually a 1-foot extension cord):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pack-1ft-Power-Strip-Outlet-Saver-Extension-Cable-UL-/290554164943 ?
At $1.95 each, they're the cheapest I was able to find on the web.
I've got four rechargeable-battery warts plugged into a 4-outlet power-strip which, in turn, is plugged into a timer. When I need a battery recharged, I insert the battery into its respective receptacle and tap the timer.
The timer I use is a Belkin Energy Saving Outlet, obtainable here: (Amazon.com product link shortened)59913014&sr=8-5&keywords=electrical+timer
I rigged this Rube Goldberg concoction after learning that Ni-Cad batteries should not be left on a charger for more than seven hours.
I really ought to put this imitation octopus in a shoe box painted green.
I like green.
On 02-03-2013 13:10, HeyBub wrote:

My desk is quite messy, yet none of those things have ever been anywhere near the power strip.
--
Wes Groleau

“There ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over.”
On 02/02/2013 04:05 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

At least on a kitchen table, or any place you're going to be using liquids.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Think desk - staples. It's a bad idea all around.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Staples?
Who uses staples any more?

Only people with brains. Now go back to sleep, HomoGay.
On 02-03-2013 17:05, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I rarely use staples, and when I do, they go into some paper and stay there.
And when I receive something containing a staple that I don't think should be there, the removed staple goes directly from my hand to the trash.
YMMV
--
Wes Groleau

What kind of smiley is C:\ ?
On 02/03/2013 08:44 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

The way you feel when you're all mixed up from trying to figure out Windows.

NEC 406.4(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.
On Feb 2, 11:22pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I can verify the stupidity of doing such. Expecially on an electronic work bench and likely to cut little wire leads that fly everywhere!
Robert Macy wrote:

"Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces"
Could they mean a kitchen work surface? A surface likely to be in close proximity to water?
Could they mean a fixed work surface (and not a table, desk, etc) ?
Was the original post showing this project intended for a table or desk?
And nobody has said anything about why these wouldn't be better / faster / easier / to install (let alone be better looking and less disruptive to the work surface):
http://www.globalmarket.com/filestorage/gallery/manufacturer/270/695270/prod/0_1346986133654.jpg
http://www.tropegroup.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/215-383-Herman-miller-big.jpg
http://www.globalmarket.com/filestorage/gallery/manufacturer/270/695270/prod/72_1345106976585.jpg
Home Guy wrote:

I've seen electrical outlets (in commercial environments) mouted face up in the floor!
However, they all were equipped with screw-on or other covers that would insulate them from, among other things, spills or, more likely, sudsy water from moping.

I've seen them frequently in residences too. Apparently a work surface doesn't include a floor.....

Right, they have to be rated for that service. Every one I've seen has a cover of some sort. I've been thinking about putting a couple of those in my family room.
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 01:22:36 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I haven't done any electrical work since 2000. I tried to google a 1996 NEC to see if this requirement was in there. I didn't have any luck. I still have the 1996 NEC somewhere, but don't have any motivation to look.

Does that really apply to cord-and-plug connected devices installed in furniture that's NOT part of the building?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 2/3/2013 1:04 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

They are covered by UL.
Face up is a particular problem when flush with the surface.