This DIY Power Outlet Adds a Pair of Good-Looking Plugs to Any Desk or Surface

"Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces"

Could they mean a kitchen work surface? A surface likely to be in close proximity to water?

Could they mean a fixed work surface (and not a table, desk, etc) ?

Was the original post showing this project intended for a table or desk?

And nobody has said anything about why these wouldn't be better / faster / easier / to install (let alone be better looking and less disruptive to the work surface):

Home Guy

I haven't done any electrical work since 2000. I tried to google a

1996 NEC to see if this requirement was in there. I didn't have any luck. I still have the 1996 NEC somewhere, but don't have any motivation to look.
Reply to
Metspitzer

I've seen electrical outlets (in commercial environments) mouted face up in the floor!

However, they all were equipped with screw-on or other covers that would insulate them from, among other things, spills or, more likely, sudsy water from moping.

Reply to
HeyBub

What exactly is your definition of "power strip"? Is it limited to strips that are intended to be fastened? I think folks saying the outlets typically wind up facing up are including the typical power strip that isn't mounted, it's just plugged into the wall and winds up behind a cabinet or similar. All the ones I have like that lay on the floor with the outlets pointing up.

Reply to
trader4

I've seen them frequently in residences too. Apparently a work surface doesn't include a floor.....

Reply to
trader4

Right, but they're not flush with the desk top.

Flush with the desk top means they will accumulate paper-clips, dimes, spilled coffee, itty-bitty screws, and other detritus.

In any event, if you use a power-strip AND you have a collection of wall-warts, you may need these outlet saver extensions (actually a 1-foot extension cord):

At $1.95 each, they're the cheapest I was able to find on the web.

I've got four rechargeable-battery warts plugged into a 4-outlet power-strip which, in turn, is plugged into a timer. When I need a battery recharged, I insert the battery into its respective receptacle and tap the timer.

The timer I use is a Belkin Energy Saving Outlet, obtainable here:

I rigged this Rube Goldberg concoction after learning that Ni-Cad batteries should not be left on a charger for more than seven hours.

I really ought to put this imitation octopus in a shoe box painted green.

I like green.

Reply to
HeyBub

At least on a kitchen table, or any place you're going to be using liquids.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've seen a few of those (attached to wall), and even have one in the garage. However, nearly all power strips are just set on some horizontal surface (floor, table, etc...). The outlets are all pointing up.

Also, such attachment interferes with changes.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Does that really apply to cord-and-plug connected devices installed in furniture that's NOT part of the building?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Most outlet strips are used face up. I'll agree it's not the perfect idea, but just take a look at images of outlet strips, boxes.

Here is one even more versatile.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

COme to think of it, I've never seen one that didn't have mounting holes. I don't always (but usually) use them but the outlets are never facing up.

None of mine do. They're either on their side or fastened to something. I don't like lots of cords free to tangle (or trip over).

Reply to
krw

Think desk - staples. It's a bad idea all around.

Reply to
krw

Right, they have to be rated for that service. Every one I've seen has a cover of some sort. I've been thinking about putting a couple of those in my family room.

Reply to
krw

Staples?

Who uses staples any more?

Reply to
Home Guy

Only people with brains. Now go back to sleep, HomoGay.

Reply to
krw

My desk is quite messy, yet none of those things have ever been anywhere near the power strip.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I rarely use staples, and when I do, they go into some paper and stay there.

And when I receive something containing a staple that I don't think should be there, the removed staple goes directly from my hand to the trash.

YMMV

Reply to
Wes Groleau

They are covered by UL.

Face up is a particular problem when flush with the surface.

Reply to
bud--

The way you feel when you're all mixed up from trying to figure out Windows.

Reply to
sam E