Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills

Where can we purchase a third party electricity meter to verify the accuracy of monthly electricity bills? Can such monitoring be setup to monitor on a per room or per electrical outlet basis?
I got mine from Hialeah meter, about $40 but they had a bunch of used ones they had refurbed. (set to zero)

Did you ever see any differences in monthly billings?

I only used it to see what my spa was costing me and stuff like that.
Do your own energy audit a Kill A Watt meter records usage of pluged in devices. A good clamp on amp meter can check wired units and detect shorts to ground, learn what uses what then you can see what to replace

Radio Shack used to sell "Kill A Watt" meters, but I got the last one my local store had. Website for manufacturer is www.p3international.com
It is limited to 125 VAC, 15 amp and displays volts, amps, watts, VA, Hz, powerfactor, and kWh. But it loses its kWh memory if power goes out (or unplugged).
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:52:09 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote:

If you think your main meter is inaccurate, by all means contact your power company. More than likely they have a whole department of experts whose job it is to do meter calibrations. Even though the utility loves it when you use their power, they have an interest in the meter being accurate as well.
It is unlikely that the consumer grade plug-in watt hour meters that are becoming available now are going to be more accurate then a built in residential electric meter especially when connected to modern TV's, computers, etc. which are completely non-linear. These plug ins are good for an estimate only. Precise (laboratory grade) measurements require very expensive equipment.
Beachcomber