Third Key Included with Schlage Lock Set???

When I was installing a Schlage deadbolt recently, I noted that a third key (different finish) was included. Somehow I seem to have misplaced the literature explaining what this key does, but I think it was important. Does anyone know the purpose of this third key? Thanks. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Wow, it has been years- only time I ever saw a different-color key in the box was on the locksets for tract homes, where the special key was to be used when you wanted to DISable the master keys used during the construction process. Are all 3 keys the same size with the same notches, or does the special key stick in further?

I may be remembering the details wrong- this was a very long time ago.

Reply to
aemeijers

Schlage has a owner re-keyable series, maybe that's what you have. You can buy multiple locksets and re-key them all the same yourself without fussing around changing tumblers. You use the special key in conjunction with the key you want to use to open the lock to change the lock keying. Don't know the specific procedure, but it's probably on the Schlage web site.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I believe this is correct. I will look on the website to confirm. Thank you! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Hi As noted this key apparently allows the owner to rekey a bunch of locks so they all use the same key. Thanks for your thoughts! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

The SecureKey locks by Schlage are user-rekeyable...

The Blue key included with your locks is required to put the lock into the "learning" mode... It is cut to match the keys which are currently programmed into the lock...

When you want to rekey the lock, you use your current Blue key to put the lock into the programming position to reprogram the lock, then remove it from the lock and insert a NEW Blue key cut to the bitting of the new user keys you wish to operate the lock is required...

You use that NEW Blue key turning it to the normal key position and removing it, the old keys no longer work and the new keys are keyed into your locks...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan