Thinset mixing drill recommendations

Page 2 of 2
Yep - Doesn't spin very fast but nuthen will stop it if you keep your finger on the trigger!
I also have a newer variety Milwaukee right angle drill. Was hogging out some joists for some plumbing. Using one of their self feeding 2 1/4" forstner like bits. The bit hit a nail or some such thing and caused the bit to stop. The drill kept going, it wrenched my hand and slammed the drill into a finger. The slamming of my finger between the drill and the floor caused my finger to split open. It required 8 stitches to close it up. No broken bones but a lot of bruising. I did finish my hole before I got stitched so it wasn't THAT bad.

Depending on how much you use it, I would suggest that you bargain hunt for an old 1/2 Drill. For the average homeowner buying an expensive drill that's going to be used a handful amount of times really isnt worth it. Renting might be another option if you are going to do the job in a day or two.
When I mixed up thinset I used a Milwakee 1/2 drill (14.4 volts) on the low speed with high torque. It worked fine for alittle while but eventually the transmission crapped out on it.... OOOPS! Had it fixed and its all better.
I got a cheap corded drill from a garage sale that I can beat up just for this job.