Thinset mixing drill recommendations

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I am looking for a recommendation for a mixing drill for thinset. the tool will be used only for home renovation - no commercial use. So far, from what I've been reading, there seems to be one opinion to get on high ampergae drills (something like Milwaukee 300-20 wiht 8.0amp seems to be the best), and/or double-triple gear reduction drills being more important (possibly lower amps). What is more important ? Any recommendations on specific drills from own experience? Thanks. m.

Most any half inch chuck drill will do. I use the Milwaukee D handle drill because I can hold on to the drill with both hands. I tried my HoleHawg once. To heavy and to slow on low speed. http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/mi101mavsrdd.html
for home use this one is a bunch cheaper http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberG991
My most recent experience for home use is limited to a Black & Decker 1/2" that broke after only a few uses. Since you mention Milwaukee it appears that expense is not an issue, so I'd say any DeWalt or Makita will serve you well. Even Sears' Craftsman will do if you're on a budget after all. I've mixed plenty of mortar and joint compound, and the speed doesn't really matter. Just start with water and add the mortar-mix so you don't get dry clumps on the bottom.
I just went through tiling my den. My regular drill burned out. So I purchased a heavy duty Dewalt drill for about $160 at Home Depot. It did the job great. Thinset is very hard to mix unless you have a good commercial type drill. After I was done with it I returned the drill and exchanged it for a regular drill I can use around the house.

Let's see. You bought an item from HD, used it, were happy with an apparently perfectly functioning tool, and then returned it. Anyone else see a problem with this?
This is what rental tools are for.
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:26:19 +0000, kzinNOSPAM99 wrote:

Yup, I do. The word "asshole" comes to mind.
Linux Registered User #327951
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

When something odd happens like he drills through his hand or drops the drill on his toe while wearing sandals etc, he'll wonder "why me?"
Karma my friend. Karma...

Apparantly HD did not have a problem with it. I only needed the drill for a one-time job. I could not use the drill for any home projects because it was so big. So I just exchanged it for a drill I can use. If I rented it it would cost more. I don't write the return/exchange policies, I only abide by them.

Good comeback, Dan.

Remarkable, but I guess I can't fault you there. I wonder if HD knows it runs what amounts to a library type system for power tools. I guess they must and just don't care. I don't buy power tools (or many tools at all for that matter) from HD and this just supports my decision not to.
Mikepier wrote:

Remind me of a fat lady who samples sausage links by the chunks in super market. I know there are woman who buy fancy dress for an occasion to wear it once and return it for full refund. Dress has wrinkles, sweat stains, so on. I hope people like that sleep well in the night. Last week I got few rolls of quarters from my bank. A roll contained 38 quarters and two nickels. All kinds of lowly sub human every where. Tony
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:32:11 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

You're a sorry, ignorant piece of shit. Simple as that. STFU.
Linux Registered User #327951
I must say Dan, I am impressed. Were you beaten up as a kid? Did you have a lot of friends in school?That would explain your comments.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:12:36 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

I don't doubt it.

No.
Yes.
That would explain your comments.
What would? Oh, you mean your despicable behavior? Yes indeed. You're a low-life, and I think you know it.
Linux Registered User #327951
I'll bet when a family member dies, he rents the casket.

I can hear it now... Rent a casket?? What for? They are dead, what do I want with them now?
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

So.
You take unethical advantage of them.

Yeah, I'd use scum. As in, "you have the morals of pond scum."
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Mikepier wrote:

Were you forthcoming with Home Depot about this? What did you say when they asked you why you were returning it?
[...]
--
Bo Williams - snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net
http://hiwaay.net/~williams /

No wrote:
<see below - topposting corrected>

> Milwaukee makes great drills. I own 4 or 5. One is an ancient 3/4" all steel > and chrome behemoth. Design wise sort of like the #1854. You can thread a > piece of pipe into it for an extra handle! Its low speed but tons of torque.
That old sucker will flip you over twice if it ever gets a hold of your shirt sleeve or gets caought in your work..