Thinking of using Benjamin Moore, but...

Page 1 of 2
Having read so many testimonials to the quality of Benjamin Moore paint, I checked out their Web site to see who carries it around here. First was an ACE Hardware store, but there is no sign of BM paints on the ACE Web site. Went to the store to ask and found out that they do have BM, but only gallons, no 5-gallon pails.
Off to another store, a "real paint store" that sells Graco spray equipment (the commercial stuff, not the homeowner stuff that HD sells) and not a sign of Wagner. Picked up the brochure about BM exterior paints, complete with store's sticker on the back. Flagged down an employee and asked the price of the top-quality BM exterior paint. "Sorry, we don't sell their exterior paints."
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

See, it's so good you can't even qualify to buy it.... :)
So what did this "real" paint store offer as an exterior paint? (Inquiring minds and all that...)
On 03/13/08 08:18 pm dpb wrote:

Store brand. It's an 8-store chain: 7 in MI, one in IN.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Some small brands are quite good -- I don't know if they're still in existence any more, but James T(?) Davis Paints in Lynchburg, VA, made/sold under their label as good a product as any of the name brands.
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:13:53 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

How many Lip rings did the employee have?!

Sounds like you need a better store.
As for the quality of BM paints, we've use a couple of hundred gallons in the past few months at work (much in 5 gallon pails) and it has done a god job of covering, no splatter problems, etc. There are other paints that can equal it, but I'd not hesitate to use Ben Moore again.
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:13:53 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

So what's so bad about gallons? You can pour the gallons into 5 gallon pails, or many paint stores will do that for you. Sherwin Williams is another decent brand, but I prefer BM.
On 03/14/08 07:39 am Phisherman wrote:

I'd expect the per-gallon price to be lower for larger packages.
Perce
Walk into a house, any house, and tell me by looking at the walls what brand of paint they used. Was it the cheapest paint or some expensive brand?
I can't tell myself so I get the cheap stuff. Looks OK to me....
On 03/14/08 09:48 am Bill wrote:

More important, IMO, is how easy the paint is to apply, how many coats it takes to cover whatever was there before, and how long it will last before the surface needs repainting. A freshly painted wall *may* (but I could be wrong) not look much different whether it was done with $50/gal. Benjamin Moore "Aura" or with the cheapest stuff from HD, Lowe's or Wal-Mart.
Perce

I like Behr paint from home depot. have been using it on multiple homes for years. wears great too
On 03/14/08 11:39 am snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've never used Behr, so I cannot speak from experience, but I've run across diametrically opposed opinions on the 'Net. One person said that he used it on the outside of a house and it lasted six months. Behr refunded his money, but he still had the job of getting the Behr off and starting over with a good paint. Another (apparently a professional) said that if the homeowner insists on Behr he ups his labor charge to compensate for the difficulty of using it. Another (also apparently a professional) said that his sister wanted him to paint her house with some Behr she had already bought; he told her to take it back, and if she couldn't take it back to pour it down the toilet because he refused to use it.
One HD employee told me that the contractors prefer Glidden to Behr because it's thinner and goes on more easily, and they don't care if it doesn't last as long.
Perce
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:39:22 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Behr's completely sucks; we go with Valspar (from Lowe's) now after our horrible experience this last summer trying to get Behr to cover properly. For the same price, Valspar covered so much better and delivered a much better color.
KLS wrote: ...

I'll go w/ the other guy -- absolutely no complaints on Behr's premium -- flows and covers well.

You have a good point, but there are other factors. Good paint goes on smoother, less splatter, less coats. I made the mistake of getting paint from Wal Mart once and needed 4 coats to get coverage. Never again.
On 03/13/08 07:13 pm Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Just went to another Ace Hardware store, listed on the BM Website as carrying BM paints. "Some Ace Hardware stores carry Benjamin Moore, but we don't. We carry only Ace brand."
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote: ...

Check local yellow pages under "Paint Retail" -- listings in any decent size place will include the major manufacturers in subsection listings.

You can buy Benjamin Moore online with www.myperfectcolor.com they can make any color in the spectrum in a mini-can. They ship you the paint same day and if you live in NYC area you get it next day. What I like most about this site is they show you colors matches from all the brands and they make the paint using benjamin moore. They can modify the colors lighter or darker also. They have most popular colors and color combinations by pottery brand and many more SEE LINK http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Color-Combinations-Myperfectcolor-com-s/3254.htm
Depending on wherE you are in the country you may not have access to the new Aura paint by Benjamin Moore and they have that also. I was so frustrated prior to this site because I would go to this paint store about 20 minutes drive from my home and I wanted to test all these colors and they only 2 out of 12 in a TINY 2OZ jar. Apparently benjamin moore does not have testers for more then 400 of there 4,000 colors. Also that jar was tiny I couldnt even fit a brush in the jar. The Mini-Can was perfect I was able to do a large sample on my wall. the colors I chose are
LIVING ROOM, DINING ROOM, KITCHEN, OFFICE = THE POTTERY COLORS OF FALL 2007 *SEE LINK http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Benjamin-Moore-Pottery-Barn-Colors-Fall-07-Warm-p/mpc-bmcombo_pbf07w.htm
Just go to Sherwin Williams and be done with it already......
wrote:

[...]
Damn, you wanted to test all 20 of the colors on the wall? Isn't that what they make paint chips for?
--
Roger Shoaf