Thinking of putting up second fence

Page 5 of 5

giga wrote:

Brown will fade into the landscape a bit better, perhaps. In view of the fact the neighbor was more aggressive, I would forget about it. You can choose to make it a major issue in your life, which will only distress you more. If you think it totally ugly, then plant a hedge to hide it. You may be able to make the issue into a twenty year war, since fences can cause so much conflict, but you will only harm yourself and your family.

You are saying a thoughtless and agressive neighbor has turned you into the same. How about going back to Mr. nice guy, remain principled and positive. Doesn't mean be a door mat, but just choosing your battles wisely.

I have neighbors who are takers, and a few who are givers. The takers will do ANYTHING to get what they want. I've gotten the dirty end from some of them but, given a choice, will try to remain who I am. I won't let them turn me into one of them.
Be thankful and enjoy what you have - a brand new home. I'm glad you posted this, because it puts a lot in perspective. And if the neighbors install purple fences, just plant some purple flowers to coordinate and bring them a bouquet once in a while :o)

You shouldn't have to put up with this. Your best move would be to paint your house to match the fence, then he'll have to paint the fence!
giga wrote:

Two fences side by side is not always the sign of a turf war.
In my town fences are required to be placed one foot back from the property line. Two friendly neighbors who need to fence in their yards for whatever reason would have a 2 foot gap between their fences.
Looks stupid but the reasons where to keep our dogs in our yards and not make them a problem for others. wildlife migrates between fields behind and across from us in that 2 foot gap, deer, fox, turkeys, wood chucks, rabbits, etc.

Well, not if the neighbors (since you say it's not a turf way) agree as to how to close up the gap.
The two fences like that on my block eventually both changed hands, and of course the new neighbors don't have the feud the old neighbors did. So they placed rocks in the intervening space (which is more like 10 inches) and maintain it plannt-free with herbicides.
But the problem you point to - how to maintain that space between fence and property line, is why my municipality allows the fence to be put on the property line. It's not so in-the-face as some folks seem to think. It's actually the most practical place to put the fence. It avoids tresspass-to-maintain and adverse possession issues.
Banty