Thinking of putting up second fence

Page 4 of 5
hmmm, a "Fence War" between a disgruntled homeowner and a Fencing contractor. Sounds like the plot for a new reality TV show! Lemme grab my chair and a few beers to watch this one! When the fences get to about 12 ft. high and all sorts of obnoxious colors, a winner could be crowned.... hmmm, what's the Fox Channel phone number?
Seriously, another option you may consider, one which I don't prefer myself, is to weave those filler panels into the fence. They're strips of thin metal that you weave into it. You could even paint your side your color and his side could be painted his color. Cheers, cc

LOL
The guy asks for you people to give opinions and you guys tell him forget it about it ..invite the guy in to bang your wife. lol are you guys spineless wimps or what.
A mans home is his castle. If joeway wants to build a second fence then build it man. show this fool he can't mess with you and screw him up.
Big deal if he owns a fence company, I'm a porn star this doesn't give me the right to go and bang the guys next door wife.
I say build that second fence and teach the prick a lesson. Make sure you put that foot higher than his fence and make sure he sees his side a nice light green to go with brown fence.
Anyhow let me know what you decide but don't listen to these want be saints. I bet they are the ones who build their fences without talking to their neighbors too.
Peace out

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Pick your battles carefully. This isn't one of them, and is not worth the bad blood between neighbors. Just view it as a free fence, to hell with the color. Grow something on it, and make it green. It is on *your* property, and you have the right to do anything if it is truly on the line, as parts of it must fall on your side, eg, half the posts.. And chill out.
Yea man! Build that fence! That'll teach'em! Show him who's boss. One foot higher -- ha! Take that. And not brown either -- WOOD -- that'll just set the french bas**rd right. Thinkin he owns the whole damn province. Next thing you know he'll be trying to put up his damn brown fences around the whole territory, trying to keep us English guys out. But no, you'll show him. Man, I can just see it. He'll just be sitting over eating his fromage thinking, "damn, thought I had that guy right where I wanted him -- all cornered in by a brown fence -- then he goes and builds a WOOD fence. And on ALL SIDES too. Man he's tough. And I though he was some kind of nice guy -- talks to me so nice an all -- then I come home and BAM, he's got his OWN fence now." Yea. Build that second fence. Hell, why dont you build TWO fences, and really show him you mean business. Hell, if it were me, I'd start putting up steel roll shutters on my windows, and bricking over my doors. Guy wouldn't know what hit him. Smack! Us english, we can wall ourselves in bettern than a frenchman any day.
In alt.home.repair on 28 Jul 2005 23:31:22 -0700 "kevin"

You know, the English channel wasn't an accident. The English dug it.
In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:20:07 -0700 "Roger Taylor"

I don't think so, but even if you're right, even the near edge of it might be a quarter inch inside the neighbor's property line.

I wouldn't take the OP's word about where the property line is, partly because I don't know who he bought it from and how precise that guy is.
I have the original platt for my property, but I'm still not sure where the lines are.
And the n'hood as a whole was built partly on the next neighborhood's property. Rather than tear things down, the builder arranged to give the other n'hood some unbuilt land that he actually did own. I don't know the details, but for now, I think it was an honest mistake.
I'm not sure why you've chosen to be offended by your neighbour's decisions. Was it because he installed a fence that didn't exactly meet your expectations at a time which didn't exactly meet your expectations? Then you ask thousands of strangers for advice on building a spite fence. Then you say you smile and talk politely with him (on one side of your face) while plotting your ugly revenge (on the other side of your face).
Perhaps your neighour sensed some inflexibility and immaturity on your part during your 5-minute chat with him and he decided it was easier to press on without you.

OKkkayyy - you got a free fence, for the 'cost' of not having the designer color you wanted. He didn't want to deal with the hassle over color, and decided to pay for it all.
(Black fence?? I don't even think I've ever seen a black fence...)

Yes. We have a pair like that on our block.

Well, OK - the mesh (not sure what you mean by 'mesh' - a lattice top?) may be a bit 'in the face' to your neighbor about your fence dispute, but, Okkaay - it's your house too.
What the pair of fences in my neighbohood say is "we don't like each other".

Does your local laws allow you to paint your side of the fence? Look into that...
Banty
Depending on what you were planning to put there, maybe put in a white trellis that runs the length and as high as the fence. Then plant rosebushes and other vine like plants
It will look white enough to blend and doing it that way you can avoid an outright fence war.
kubie
In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:32:34 -0700 c snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted:

Sounds good. You should be a labor negotiator or a marriage counselor, or UN Ambassador.

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:09:40 -0700 Banty

Impossible to do a good job with chain link. Even if one covered exactly 1/2, which would be impossible, that would only look right when looking head on. When looking at an angle, the other color would show, whichever side of the fence you were on. And wherever one stands, some part of the fence will be viewed at an angle.
It will look like crap.
Of course, one of things I like about this n'hood is that chain link fences are not permitted. Compared to wood fences, I hate them.

Yeah - I wrote that before I read that it was a chain link fence.

It would.

Around here we have limitations on them - they have to stay back behind the house. so they don't get used for property enclosures, but can still be used for dog runs, etc.
Banty

I've seen this a lot in new neighborhoods where the first thing new owners do is put up a fence. They all look like crap, IMO. There is a fence four houses up from me, but no others around. Kids, dogs, never a problem. I don't see any reason for the dog in the back not to visit once in a while or the kids from up the street. Nice too look out the back and see open space, gardens, trees and may a few hedges as a natural boundary line. Guess we're just lucky.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Maybe you are.
I'd much rather the default be that dogs stay fenced. There's enough problem with folks who allow free-ranging dogs.
With toddlers, some kind of enclosure is a good idea, IMO. Mostly the chain link stuff is limited in scope, though - a dog run.
IMO the very commmon eyesore around here in upstate New York are above-ground pools. I hate the sight of those things. But I'd definitely be swimming against the tide to complain...
Banty
In alt.home.repair on 31 Jul 2005 07:57:35 -0700 Banty

I agree that they are ugly. Why can't they dig a hole and put the above ground pool in the hole!

The expense, the crappy clay soil around here...
Banty
In alt.home.repair on 1 Aug 2005 04:42:45 -0700 Banty

Hey, if it is really clay, why do they need a pool?
Just take a propane torch and fire the surface a few inches at a time, and they'll have a china swimming hole.

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:15:14 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski"

I agree with you. And you are lucky. When I grew up in a small city in Western Pa., no fences at al. I would walk around all the neighbors back yards, the ones on my side of the street, about 10 of them. Didn't get stuck until a bunch of bushes and weeds where the street would have been if it had gone through. Until we moved when I was 10. No one every complained. Weren't many dogs but the two there were ran free. Mother and daughter. They both chased cars and one was eventually killed doing that. But it was the dog's choice.
No, there were two others I rememer. One a cocker spaniel that lived in the yard of the house behind me, not fenced in and not chained afaicr, and one I came across a block away. It was following me so I took it home so it could meet the first one. It got excited, jumping up and down with its paws on my back. I don't know why. Eventually I got a bit scared and went home, which was right there. I coudl not see my back and my mother couldn't tell if it was a scratch or a bite, plus the excitable nature of the dog. So she took me to a vet. Figured he would know better than my doctor. It was a scratch. I never saw the second dog again. I wish I knew what was going on between the two of them. My mother, who was doggone protective, didn't complain about the two dogs running around. That was the way it was.
The new neigborhood was too boring to warrant looking, but we did go through the back neighbor's yard on the way to some place. And the dogs would run around all day, in a pack of 10 or 15, until they got hungry and went to their various homes. Never heard of anyone being bit.
The old lady fart behind me put up a 2nd fence. She's a tard, anyway.