Thinking of putting up second fence

Page 3 of 5
You damn right it's cause he is French lol
Yea thats an Option but i dont like shrubs too much. but thats definately and option. Honestly if it wasn't for of the middle maintenance of 2 fences this would be option number 1 for sure lol
joeway

βœ–

Quebec
maybe
Yeah, that must be it. Or, maybe you being the English conqueror, you feel you have the right to dictate what colour fence he has.. You got a free fence out of the deal, now learn how to live in peace with your neighbours.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's spelled "color", you Tory... ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

feel
neighbours.
Or "couleurs" en franηais...for the brown fence neighboUr!
:)
Add pictures here
βœ–
giga wrote:

If you can get by losing a few feet of usable yard there,you might consider planting some evergreens in front of that fence. If you do it yourself it probably would cost about the same or less than a professionally erected second fence.
That's what I did last year when my next door neighbor's contractors put in a functional but very messy looking "rock facing" that I had to look at ... but my neighbor didn't. See:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/mmiv.html
As I was finishing up my digging and planting, the neighbor came over and insisted on paying for the evergreens. I told him it would be hypocritical of me to take his money because I have always said that as far as "looks" go my rights end at my property line and that if I don't like what I see it's my job to screen it out.
He persisted in offering, so I let him write a nice check to a worthy local charity we support and everyone felt good.
It's a year later and those evergreens are almost touching each other now and have increased enough in height so they effectively block off our view of that mess.
Hope you can work something out too.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
βœ–
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Great solution! I like :) That would be a great way to hide a chain link fence, too, if there's room.
-- Jennifer
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jennifer wrote:

If there's no room for trees plant soem type of vines against it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
A great answer and a great story.
In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:35:39 -0400 Jeff Wisnia

βœ–
Be prepared to spend lots of time in between the two fences, dealing with the forest of weeds that'll grow there. They'll grow through both fences, too. A real pain in the ass.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, you may not want to admit it, but putting up a spite fence is war.
He paid for it, get over it and move on. Some day you may need help from a neighbor. You just never know. Ed
Add pictures here
βœ–
In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:25:11 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski"

He needs help now. Maybe he can get this guy to buy his new fence for him at the employee discount. Yes, OP, you won't be able to complain anymore, but you'll probably save a lot of money. (Although get prices elsewhere and at his place as if you weren't getting a discount, so you'll know if and how much you are.)
He doesn't really *need* help, but this is the one and maybe the only thing the next door neigbhor can do for the OP that will really benefit the OP and won't cost the neighbor anything, I would think.

βœ–
In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:31:44 -0400 "giga"

Cool.
Yes, and it looks stupid. When they find out you put up the second one, you'll look stupid.

If there is no HOA, yes. And even if there is a HOA, he doesn't have to use your preferred color, unless his is against the rules.

How are you going to mow the lawn between the two?

So you are at war with him. You're just diplomatic when you see him in person. Diplomacy is war by other means.

Anyone who works for a fence company knows what kind of fence he wants before he even sees his next house, and certainly as soon as he sees it. He doesn't have to wait to move in to know.
I've seen quite a few townhouses or doubles (side by side duplexes) where they were originally built the same, but they put roofs on separately, in different colors even, they put different siding on, or paint the entire house different colors. That's worse than a fence. (Is this fence in the front yard or back?)
In fact, that's the reason townhouses now are built with all adjecent houses different colors. Because when n'hhood were all the same color, the neighbors would on purpose or for laziness paint or trim with different colors. So some would be the same and some would be different and it looked terrible. Now they are all different, so it doesn't look bad when a given pair doesn't match.
So far my strip is ok, with everything russet brown, but at the top of the hill, where it was supposed to be harvest gold or something, a half a dozen people bought paint without finding out where they were supposed to buy it, got the wrong colors, and that strip looks terrible. I sort of like it better when the houses are all the same color, but having them all different colors is insurance against what happened at the top of my hill.

If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't want black. (Actually my preferred finish is no finish, and that's all that's permitted where I live. I should have checked in advance that that was a rule, but I did notice at least that any fences were unfinished. I wouldn't even have a fence but I'm at the end of a group, and everyone took shortcuts across my yard when the previous owner owned it. He put in the fence, but I probably would have too.
βœ–

Now whoever decided to make the houses different in the first place is very wise. Makes a livable plan that allows for human beings, exhibiting actual human behavior, to live together. It's the approach that everyone is supposed to be lock-step that doesn't work.
(And what the Sam Hill is the horribly worng thing with differentiating two attached houses in the first place??)

Looks terrible how?
Banty
Add pictures here
βœ–
In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:27:27 -0700 Banty

I think they look worse when first built than it does when all the houses are the same color scheme. (mine have light brown, smooth brick for the first floor, and russet brown t1-11 for the "privacy fence, and the second floor, and the door trims on the first floor, and the front door. One of the reasons I bought it was that I thought it was pretty. These are townhouses.
I think when every house is different, it doesn't look good.
Here each building includes 8 townhouses, and they are in 4 groups of two. That is, the elevlation of the houses changes as the building goes up a hill, and the setback changes a foot or two, but only groups of two, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, are always the same elevation and the same setback. They always share a roof. I think it looks terrible when two of them can't agree and they each put on a roof, that's a different color (apparently the HOA has no rules about roof color.)
In NYC and downtown Baltimore, the brownstones or row houses don't come in pairs. And in a couple cases, I've seen them put on stone siding on a brownstone while the rest of the block is still brownstone. It looks terrible. In Baltimore, they call it formstone (I think it was invented here) and it is very popular, but it still looks bad when a block looks OX0XXX0XX where X is either the original finish and O is formstone or the other way around.

Various versions of yellow, gold, and something I can't name that was meant to match the original color, that all clash with each other.
Plus it was a poor choice of color in the first place, because there is no aluminum or vinyl siding made in any color like it. (Actually, only 2/3rd of the houses at the top of the hill are that color. I think that row, with the 1/3 that is brown, was the first row built. All the rest are brown.

βœ–

This all sounds very nice, but that houses should be netral colors like that, and that houses (even built-same townhouse duplexes) should all match is a matter of taste.

Your opinion.
A couple of stories:
I'm old enough to recall how the rows of built-same and painted (almost) same Cape Cods built in Levittown, NY,right after WWII were held up as awful examples of the Sameness of American Suburbia. Pictures of the matched rows, each with a car in the driveway, would be plastered up as example of a social malaise that was supposedly symptomatic of alienation of American culture. I don't subscribe to all that, of course - decrying the (as it turns out, very temporary) sameness as some Big Evul is just as silly IMO as blaming the lady on the corner who painted her house pink for the downfall of the neighborhood. But, if you go down those same streets now, what with different replacement sidings and windows, dormers, and additions, Levittown is far from an example of stifling sameness! And IMO it certainly doesn't look bad, nor would it look better if they all chose the same vinyl siding limited to Beige, Sand, or Clay.
Folks who bought old Victorians and strive to restore the house to the original condition and colors. They *think* they'll find the original color was something on the order of - white with grey trim and touches of, maybe, deep rose, find in the archives that their house in 1900 was purple, red, with deep blue items of trim! Or something like that...
So this is really a matter of taste. *Why* is a set of marching houses, up the hill, all biege brick with russett brown T1-11 supposed to be such of such aesthetic superiority over yellow, gold, and what other variety would be decided upon by other townhouse owners?
Surely that photo of houses on Telegraph Hill in San Fransisco that is so often used would be left in some archive if all those houses were matching beige with russet brown!
Banty
Add pictures here
βœ–
In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 13:48:34 -0700 Banty

True. which might make this whole subthread moot -- I don't remember. It might make this post moot too. :)

Neither do I but maybe for a different reason from yours. AFAIK, the only way they could have built homes cheap enough that most of those people could have bought one was by making them the same. It may take a while to build the first house, and the second, but I bet it took much less to build the ones that followed. (the particular issue here, I don't know about, if they were the same color or not. I don't think changing colors would be bad with free-standing houses, and it wouldn't slow them down or wasted money much either, I think, except for those partly used cans of paint at the very end. :) )

When I lived in Brooklyn, I made a point to go see Levittown, Long Island, just because of its fame. I went in 1980 or so.
I too noted that almost all had additions and bushes, and trees iirc. I sort of wondered how the 5% of people with no changes 30 years later felt. :)

The proof is in the pudding. I think if you would see this row, you too would think it was bad. Maybe if I had a digital camera, I would post pictures.
It's not about the individuality of the owner**. It's about 2 or 3 adjacent and proximate colors clashing. I think everyone agrees that's possible. **In fact, it was their attempts to use the same color, but not finding it, that caused this problem. Originally, we all knew what company, Duron, sold the paint that matched, and what the two colors were called. But I think no one told these people**, and they did the best they could to match, and didn't. The brown has become unavailable twice iirc in the past 26 years, but there is a substitute name that seems to be the same color or at least doesn't clash. But brown is used a lot of places so there are always a lot of browns. This one, when they don't make it, they don't make anything close enough. That won't stop a clerk from suggesting something, though. He doesn't know there is another house a half inch away.
**I think no one told them they would get 10?% off if they said they lived in this n'hood either. Easy enough to arrange, but most homeowners wouldn't think of it if not told.
One house is sort of carrot yellow, a combination of light carrot and the original color it seems, and another particularly clashing one I can't remember. Each color would probably look ok if they were farther from the others.

Arent' those free standing houses? Anyhow, they're not like my top row (which fortunately I don't have to drive by to get in and out. :) )

βœ–

Oh sure, that they were all the same made them more affordable. Heck, the McMansions around here all pretty much are the same (OK, different options, and this one is stucco, that one is vinyl siding, but really, they're the SAME.) IIRC the Levittown houses were all painted in one of four pastels.
But even the sameness is a matter of taste. All of a sudden the chic thing is to restore a Sears catalog bungalow. Imagine - mail-order houses all the rage if they're old enough (I do like them, BTW).

But wait - remember the Sears calatlog bungalow! Having kept the original stuff is now a value booster. I'm even told I shoudln't trash my barely-working 1960 cooktop and built-in oven - they're "vintage" eBay fodder.

Maybe I would. After all, the original colors sound nice. But I dont' think they should have to be on every house.

That's one of the pitfalls of defining colors. Why even have to search for ones that "at least don't clash"? In 40 years, you'll see a sea of sorta-mostly-matching motley looking shades of russet brown. Bleahh.
Better to set up some contrast from the get go.
Banty (OK, carrot-yellow does sound pretty crappy...)
Add pictures here
βœ–
In alt.home.repair on 30 Jul 2005 09:01:55 -0700 Banty

Maybe they're right. I woudl start advertising in ebay before the new ones went in. That way if no one bites, you won't have a spare oven and stovetop around. If the price it sells for is really high, maybe you can spend more moeny on your new stuff.
OTOH, timing your purchase that way is hard to coordinate with sales on the new stuff.
βœ–
In alt.home.repair on 30 Jul 2005 09:01:55 -0700 Banty

I was supposed to move out when I got married and had kids. Otherwise I like it here. At the rate I'm going, I'll be hear until I die, which is planned for 40 years from now, as you say, when I'm 98. I hope it doesn't look terrible, because by the time I'm 90, I won't have the energy to pack, let alone put all the features in my new place that I put in this one.
βœ–

That's OK - your cataracts will blend in all the various versions of "russet brown" by then ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–