Thinking of putting up second fence

Page 2 of 5
Exactly
And him being a fencing contractor, he knows very well that if he came along and put up his fence I would be screwed right?
The fact that the whole neighborhood around me when with a black wired fence and he came in and put up a brown wired fence shows he already knew what he wanted.
I didn't insist on anything or color. I simply thought we could talk about it like good neighbors do and come up with a medium or compromise. Like I said in my original post brown wired fence would go great with his house and white would have gone great with mine. So why not meet in the middle and go black? it would have gone well with both.
I don't understand why you all are telling me to kiss his ass and forget about it. He is the one who done wrong. If anything he deserves me putting up a second fence and then asking me why did you do that? I tell him I did like you son ...I put my own and didn't ask you about it and hey your are getting a free second fence that you don't have to pay me like I didn't pay you for yours.
anyhow I don't see why you guys don't see the logic in this except for the he fucked you first and he didn't make you pay for it so now be a good sport and go sit in the corner and drink your beer .
anyhow my 2 cents again.
joeway

?? How is black meeting in the middle.
It still boils down to: You want black. He want brown.
Even if you would have rather gone for white, it's still your idea of the fence color. Black was *your* idea. Only in your head is it "meeting in the middle".

Maybe the neighbor could tell you were the type to fly off the handle like this, and decided that working things out iwth you wasn't going to work out in the long run anyway.
Banty
I want white he wants brown he got his brown I now I want my own fence like he got.
so we will meet in the middle and I will put mine up too.
does that make sense or no ? he didn't compromise and get what he wanted so now I get what I want to.
and your an idiot lol
no wait I don't know you that well to say that ..but I bet your wife does and I bet she does lol
joeway
giga says...

OK - let's list some of your assumptions. I think the key to this is that you're thinking that your assumptions, concerning fences, color matching, house colors, and, um, a couple of other things, are obvious and shared by everyone around you.
1. That fences have to 'match' the house color. 2. That brown goes with brown stuff. 3. That white goes with white and grey stuff. 4. That black goes with both brown and white. (frankly, this one is the one that most gets me scratching my head - ever consider that this isn't so obvious to Mr. Frenchy-next-door either?) 5. That everyone around you would know that you waited on putting a fence in, not to get it half paid for, but to work something out 6. That a certain poster to alt.home.repair with the net-name "Banty" has a wife, or is even of such a gender to have a wife.
Of these, only #2 and #3 have much validity. Designers use contrasting and complementary colors all the time, but, if you're really into matching, well, #2 and #3 are true, they match.
I can vouch personally for #6 not being true at all.
So you're going for a 30% right in your assumptions at best. Now who's the idiot.
Banty

He likes brown better than black I guess.

If It is what you want and not what he wants it is not a compromise. He does not like black, it seems.

He put up a fence on his property, he did not take your money, it is his prerogative to do that. Sorry, you have no say in the matter.

See, you do want to put up a spite fence. What is to be gained? Try masturbating instead as it is much cheaper than getting your rocks off with a fence.

The only logic is that you are pissed off and want to retaliate. He did not fuck you, that is your perception, not anyone else's. YOU are the only one that does not see that. You got a free fence.
I got a free fence yeah !!!
OK now i understand it all.
:)
wrote in message

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:29:18 -0700 Banty

It's possible that he could put the fence on the property line , but the edge of the sidewalk was not the property line.
In my old n'hood, the road we lived on was a main straight road, went from 59th st. to 86th st, crossed the entire suburbs at the time. It was 8 or 12 feet from our property line, but the previous owner had planted trees and bushes next (to the rain culvert which was next) to the road. A lot of owners did this, and a lot of owners put their bushes inside the property line instead. (This also had the advantage that one could see if a car was coming when backing out of the driveway.)
I was back last winter for my unlce's funeral, 41 years later, and they still haven't widened the road we lived on.

says...

I wouldn't call it rude. He was faced with someone insisting on the fence being his way - he disagreed. What was he to do?

My town allows a fence on the property line.

Right.
Banty
giga wrote:

Chain link w/ plastic privacy slats? If you paint it you'll have to repaint it over the years.

Well, in that case, just get some of those cheesy strips that go in chain link. Make a modern design.
When he asks, just say he didn't ask you before he did the chainlink. You figgered you didn't have to ask before doing the beautification.
Steve
giga wrote:

And what the h is going to happen when you paint a fence he paid for???? If it's what I think, you'll never be able to to it so it doesn't show through on his side, too...
You seem bent on making sure you never get along w/ this guy imo...

It depends on the local codes. My fence is completely on my property. Any painting on the other side is trespassing since the other side is still on my property.
IMO, no future in it. I've seen parallel fences, and they are always the result of a fence-war up until someone violates a code and then all hell really breaks out.
Have a brewski and go relax; enjoy your yard, relax, maybe invite him over for a brew too.
If yo can't make that work, there's always "keep your friends close but your enemies closer". It works.
Pop

I agree with what you guys a are saying.
But for me it's the principle. Why should he get his nice fence to match his home? We paid good money for our homes (still paying for the home lol). He should have been a decent man and talked to me about it. What bothers me is I could have put mine up before he moved in. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt and said ok lets wait for him and see what happens.
Another thing I didn't mention is I'm up in Canada in the province of Quebec where French is predominate language. I'm English and he is French so maybe he feels this is his Province so he thinks he has more right to his own fence than I did :)
But I do understand what you guys are saying. but you don't what it feels like till you have it done to you.
Joeway

giga wrote:

If this is the stuff of which you're willing to create a neighbor-war over, heaven help if something critical were to happen...
Chill, man, fer gosh sakes...it just ain't that bigga' deal. :(
imo, ymmv, $0.02(US), etc., .... :)
In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:36:52 -0400 "giga"

A bitter lesson. A friend of mine who was in law school got a summer job at a court in Staten Island. He said many people had never owned their own home before, nor their parents, because they grew up in apartments in Brooklyn and NY. So there would be a lot of fights over property, each man thinking owning his house made him a king. The best example were the two who shared a driveway, but had separate garages. That's obviously effecient and prevents there being as much pavement as with 2 driveways.
There was a feud, and one guy built a fence, just on his side of the property line, down the driveway.
Of course that is not legal because the other guy has an easement to use the driveway. That's not like your situation. But the first guy had to pay for the fence, and then pay to take it away.

You're laughing. I thought you were serious.

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:36:52 -0400 "giga"

BTW, there is at least one other principle applicable:
"It's my house and I don't have to agree with this other guy on color.
Application:
"I don't want black. Contrary to what he thinks it doesn't match both. It matches neither. (If anything black goes with grey a lot better than it goes with brown, but this selfish guy wants black.) I don't want white either. Rather than fight with him, which won't be productive, I'll just put in my fence."
Now I would have preferred a No myself. I'd rather a girl said she didn't want to go out than let me call over and over and be ignored. I think it shows moral inferiority that so many girls behaved this second way. But so many people do it that way, I'm sure plenty people think it is morally acceptable, even morally preferable. Many children are taught that this is the way to handle disagreements. To avoid them. (By not discussing this with you. Beyond the 5 minutes.)

+++++++++++++ Its his Fence and his money...
We paid good money for our homes (still paying for the home lol).
++++++++++++ We all did.. and most of us are still paying also

++++++++++++ Honestly did you wait because you were praying he would even want a fence , and if so would he split the cost with you
If you want to get even...then just mow your lawn about 2 foor short of "his" fence"....by midsummer the fence will be hidden...
Seriously....not much you can do about it...
Bob Griffiths

Now wait.
From *his* POV, he can look at it as, you're not putting up a fence, sitting back and seeing if *he'll* do the expense. He could view it as being passive-aggressive on *your* part.
Then - you come over and offer to pay half, but only if you get to pick *your* color. Yes - your color - it's not so obvious that a fence has to 'go with' the house color, or that brown doesn't go with your house color, or that black goes with both house colors...
So, faced with what he may view as *your* posing and plotting to get what you want, he thinks "heck, whatever, I'm done with this guy next door and his games, I'll put up my fence, I'll pay for it".

Sounds like the two of y'all weren't going to come to an agreement anyway, so he did his own thing. What else was he supposed to do

Um - I'm pretty sure most folks here live in neighborhoods have had experience with the various compromises and give and takes and sometimes lose that life brings in a community where people live together.
Banty
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:36:52 -0400, in alt.home.repair RE: Re:

Ok, there's the problem.
But seriously: Instead of a 2nd fence, how about some shrubbery? Something that would grow as high as the fence and look nice and at the same time screen his fence from your view.