Thinking of expanding foam for window opening insulation

Looking for ideas here. Yes,i know there is a wealth on the web.
Having almost finished painting the house, i noticed that there are openings around the window installations of 1/8" to 1/4" on the second floor.
I am thinking of filling these voids with low expanding foam as insulation -- product "Great Stuff". Besides being messy as hell, it seems like the ticket since i can't find pitch-soaked cord. <G>
Thoughts on this?
Thanks,
FACE
FACE wrote:

Anything that reduces leaks is good. Low expansion foam won't bow trim. TB
DAP-Tex, latex based low expanding foam, no odor, water clean-up.
Bob

Don't use the red can, it will bow your windows. Even with the blue can, only use a little, even then some will creep out into the finished area and you will have to cut it off with a utility knife.
i used to follow advice of my brother the builder and put un fiberglass insulation using a putty knife, but i used foam on one house because i was in a hurry and it worked good.be sure to nail the trim on right away after putting the foam in cause it grows.. lucas
Or plan on slicing it flush with a razor blade.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Thanks to all who responded. I will keep your advice and product ideas in mind.
(BTW, Sleepdog, I have been there on the expanding out from the finished area bit with the bay window and did use a utility knife to trim it flush before repainting.)
FACE

Yes its messy. Theres a white latex version that is easier to work with (wipes off).
Great stuff should work. I'd suggest wear gloves (sticks to skin and makes a mess). Also, fill the cracks about half what you think they oughta, since the stuff keeps growing.
Wait till it's totally dry, next day, and trim to shape with a utility knife or razor blade.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Thanks. Last time i did it without gloves....and had Great Stuff on my hands for a while. I think that lighter fluid finally cut it. I bought a can of that and put it in my toolbox for just that kind of special occasion. :-)
FACE