Thinking About Replacing Tires At Home

Page 1 of 2
All:
My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:
a) recommend against doing it myself; or b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on how to do it.
I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the definitive set of instructions yet.
Thanks for your advice in advance.
Steve

The real trick to new tires is the balancing once the new ones treads are on. My brother ordered a set of tires off the web for his Honda and then when they were delivered marched down to the local tire dealer and paid them to mount and balance. Still cheaper and done right.
mooseshoes wrote:
(Smartass sarcastic modes OFF, I swear!)

Dood -- *online*??? As in "I'm going to pay shipping charges for tires" ???

That's likely 'cause to do it without killing yourself in the process, either literally (from a flying tire iron or exploding tire) or figuratively (physically wearing yourself out) it takes some tools and know how. People hesitate to give you directions for a procedure that can put you in the hospital.

Buy them at WalMart, let them mount and balance them for you. There's no way it can cost you substantially more than your shipping costs & risk to life and limb.
--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.

Not only that but if you have any problems with the tires you can go to any WalMart store for an adjustment. I replaced the tires on my Jeep, which I tow behind my motorhome, in California. One of the tires went bad in North Carolina on a trip. Went to the nearest WalMart store and they replaced the tire and charged me $1.95. I didn't even have the invoice with me. All the information is in their computer.
Don in Tracy, Calif.

My problem with Walmart is the local one didn't carry some of the tire brand/models I wanted
Can Walmart order ANY tire you want if they don't normally carry it?
No-name twit wrote:

Geez. You have a hangup about what brands of tire you put on your car? Never mind. Pay your shipping charges and break your neck trying to mount them on the rims. You deserve it, idiot.
--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.

well, actually yes. my car requires z rated ones, and when i to in to buy racing tires, walmart doesn't carry them. so yes, the question as to whether walmart will order the racing tires i need and just mount/balance them is pertinent in some cases.
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:11:20 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

See if you have a Tire Kingdom in your area or close by They claim to be able to get any tire at the cheapest price.
mooseshoes wrote:

Yeah, do it all the time. Love the free shipping deal when its available. Take them down to the local tire shop; check around and you'll find someone to mount and balance the whole set for less than $50. You can't buy the tools necessary to safely do the job for that price, and they'll dispose of your old carcasses too.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price

The mail order tire stores will ship the tires to a dealer they have an agreement with to install the tires. You can find this information on the tire store's web site. I've ordered several sets of tires from Tire Rack and have had them sent to installers on their list and to installers not on their list. Of course, you would have to have an agreement in place to ship to an installer not on the tire store's list.
As far as price goes, I've almost always found the online prices to be better than the walk in stores. You have to pay shipping, but do not have to pay sales tax. I did get a store to match the Tire Rack price, but they didn't have the tires in stock, so I had to pay shipping and sales tax. If they had had the tires in stock, I would have had to pay only sales tax plus the matching price. Still, it was a good deal.
Check tirerack.com.
David
mooseshoes wrote:

They make non powered tools for that, you just need to use a lot more muscle and lots of slippery gooh so that you don't damage the tires when you mount them. Don't know if you can save money or not by the time you buy the tools and then find out that your vehicle needs dynamically balanced tires. If you have a good nationwide or area wide outfit like Les Schwab in the northwest, you get free flat repair, free rebalancing, free rotation, minor cost for road hazard insurance, and no effort.

Yep. I use Schwabbies and have since they opened a local shop. For the services you get I will pay the little extra over on-line and avoid all the hassles. They have even fixed flats for me on tires I never bought from them. Just changed PU winter tires last year as they were -way- down. They checked the puter and gave a rebate for warranty on them.
Harry K
This hole "tire balancing" routine is another scam! Most tires today are made to a higher standard than "in the old days". Buy 'em on the web, mount 'em yourself and to hell with balancing. I put new rubber on my "75 Caddie" every few years and it runs like top. Maybe a little wobble at certain speeds, so I avoid those speeds, but faster or slower is OK. Save your money.

buy
this
on
the

An out of balance tire will wear unevenly besides causing a vibration throughout the car at certain speeds.

Not the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted, but close.
Rick Brandt wrote:

LMAO...Welcome to Usenet! bwahahahaaaahahaa..."but faster or slower is ok" BWA HAAAA HA...
--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
gotcha!
wrote ...

Joe wrote...
"...mount 'em yourself and to hell with balancing. I put new rubber on my '75 Caddie every few years...."
Gee-wizz, I wonder why you have to replace tires "every few years"???

What is Schwabbies?
Im starting to get like you..... i.e. start buying tires from same place I have them installed vs buying online and having the shipped to me then hauling them to installer.
In the past....Ive bought several sets of tires from Tire Rack and had them installed locally.
But the last set i bought I just printed off what tire rack wanted for the and took to local dealer and asked if he would match the price if I bought from him.
He agreed so i bought a set thru him and had him install them.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in message

<snip:>
Les Schwab company in the NW.
I changed enough tires in my life that even if it cost twice what it does now I would pay to have it done. Have changed everything from small 12" equpment tires up to and including aircraft tires that took two men to just lift.
Harry K