Things to do before leaving for vacation

Page 1 of 2
Well, first pick a destination...
Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular Mechanics:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/security/7-things-to-do-before-you-leave-for-vacation?click=pp#slide-7
But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still put anti-freeze in the toilet?

Did you turn the AC down?

Frankly, it's been so long since anyone has fiddled with the a/c, I'm not sure where the thermostat is...

I just thought of something. The last thing I do before leaving is to take a leak. Flushing the toilet would get rid of the anti-freezer.
Should I put the antifreeze in and then just pee behind the garage? That would be OK in the summer, but chilly in the winter.
So many things to figure out . . .
Somewhat related:
A girl friend of mine called to say her washing machine drainage had shot back into the house. I went to check the problem. Her house is on pillars and the drain's pee trap was under the house... the water in it had frozen, blocking the drainage. When her washing machine tried to drain, the only place for the water to go was back into the house.
Melting the frozen water, with a hair dryer, under the house was the solution.... until the next time. Location: Lafayette, LA
Sonny
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's a "p-trap" not a "pee trap." But coming in a response to pissing behind the garage, I can't really be sure...

LOL. I stand corrected. I really didn't know the proper term was "P" only.... just never paid attention. I just use the sound term and spell the sound.
Sonny
Naah, just piss in the sink. Smaller drain trap, and requires less antifreeze to reprotect it.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/security/7-things-to-do-before-you-leave-for-vacation?click=pp#slide-7 I just thought of something. The last thing I do before leaving is to take a leak. Flushing the toilet would get rid of the anti-freezer.
Should I put the antifreeze in and then just pee behind the garage? That would be OK in the summer, but chilly in the winter.
So many things to figure out . . .

When are you returning? I live near Houston and it's rarely done. Yes, I've seen it in some homes, just not many.

I think it is interesting that they are worried about the toilet freezing but they don't seem to care about the pipes. I saw nothing about draining down the plumbing.

That's a good point. I've had toilet traps dry out and let sewer gasses into the room. Antifreeze might help avoid that. I believe propylene glycol has a pretty low vapor pressure, anyway.

But you'd eventually flush the anti-freeze down the sanitary sewer line!
Ethylene glycol and cobolthorium-G have been known to cause diseases with no names in Antarctic krill.
And what about the children?

So?
Didn't your mother tell you not to drink from the toilet?

What about them? The smart ones don't drink from the toilet. Those not so smart won't be any worse than Brits or Canuckistanis.

No, no, you misunderstand!
If you burn hydrogen in an oxygen atmosphere (through a process I call combustion), you can make FRESH water. Virtually all other water on the planet is "used" water.
Right now, your bourbon and branch water may have once been polluted by anti-freeze! And the little children's milk? I shudder to think.

You're just recycling hydrogen and oxygen.

Who pissed in your beer? ;-)

It's a good thing we get so much ""fresh" water from the distillation process we call rain. Of course if you are down river, your water has been in more than one toilet. New Orleans is getting the reprocessed sewage from 100 upstream cities.
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:05:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ew! They're drinking St. Louis' "bath" water. That's bad!
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:09:32 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

... and St Louis is drinking bath water from Ohio.
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:29:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Nah, Minneapolis, perhaps. St. Louis is well upstream of the Ohio.
On Monday, August 6, 2012 9:09:32 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Better than drinking (or smoking, for that matter) St. Louis bath salts, eh?