Things that go "tick" in the night

Page 2 of 2

Nary a one. 8|
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Snow ticks crawling around!

The radio on a switched extension cord seems like a foolproof way to tell if it is a mechanical or animal problem.
On 10/8/12 5:22 AM, notbob wrote:

One way to discourage critters is to put the old stinky mothballs in the space. Critters don't like the smell any more than humans do.
How to keep the odor away from humans?
Friend of mine puts mothballs under old cars, to keep mice from chewing the wiring.

One way to discourage critters is to put the old stinky mothballs in the space. Critters don't like the smell any more than humans do.

I just had the dog go nuts and try to dislodge the stove. Then I remembered: this is the time of year that little critters tend to move out of their cold, in-ground burrows and try moving in with nice, warm humans. That's my guess based on your description. A critter has moved in. Did you just recently have a severe temperature drop in the area?
Just this weekend I set a peanut butter based trap only to find it all licked away. Then I reset the trap with a pistachio nut glued down with PB. Mice tend to try to take morsels like whole nuts home to the nest (AMHIKAT), so they try to dislodge it and BAM! A very fat little mouse was stuck in the trap on Sunday.
Apparently I had just the one because the dog's no longer got 'rodent insanity' and the other three traps are empty. My bet is you've got a critter and your best bet is a few traps with nuts glued to the treadle with PB. I'd start with a mouse trap and work up through the rat traps and into the Hav-a-hart size. If you've got critters, you'll see the bait gone and maybe even the whole trap gone if it's too small.
As for noise scaring off rodents permanently, don't believe it. I used to live next to a discotheque (remember disco?) and despite playing Donna Summer at floor shaking volume, the place was infested with rats.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca /$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex594 says:
<<Mice can be frightened by unfamiliar sounds or sounds coming from new locations. However, they soon become accustomed to new sounds and lose their fear of them . . .While it is possible to cause permanent physiological damage to mice with ultrasound, the intensity of such sounds must be so great that damage to humans or domestic animals would also be likely. For these reasons, ultrasonic and ultrasound devices are not recommended to effectively scare away mice.>>
-- Bobby G.

hear, hear, pardon the pun.
from experience, ultrasonic chirper to keep rodents away - WASTE OF MONEY! Hurt MY ears, but still [during one bad infestation] got 12 rats in the victor traps. Yes, I throw away trap and all after spraying the whole thing and area with Raid flea spray.
<stuff snipped>

<hear, hear, pardon the pun.>
Very punny.
<from experience, ultrasonic chirper to keep rodents away - WASTE OF MONEY!>
I though you were one of the Council of Elders. You shouldn't be able to hear anything in the ultrasonic range.
<Hurt MY ears, but still [during one bad infestation] got 12 rats in the victor traps. Yes, I throw away trap and all after spraying the whole thing and area with Raid flea spray.>
Rats care where food is, all other concerns are secondary, it seems. That damn disco (Tramps, if anyone gives a damn) was empty and dark all day and the usually nocturnal rats mostly kept to themselves until there was a small fire and then they poured out of that building like endless clowns from a clown car. It was like the movie "Willard" where Ernest Borgnine says "Look at all the rats!" when he sees the floor is just one moving sea of rats.
Wasn't quite that bad or as bad as the granaries filled with mice instead of grain that I saw on the Croc Hunter. Apparently in boom grain years, the mouse population in Oz rises beyond what native predators can handle. Once you've seen a grain bin door open and mice come spilling out you realize the how much we take for granted in the first world. No more locust plagues, no cholera, no smallpox. Just a few critters trying to move in with us to keep warm. (-:
The best hint I've heard about trapping indoor rodents is to follow the urine/turd trails and place the traps against the wall. Rodents apparently are thigmatropic - they like to feel their body in contact with the wall when they move. Roaches, too.
-- Bobby G.