Things that go "tick" in the night

The radio on a switched extension cord seems like a foolproof way to tell if it is a mechanical or animal problem.

Reply to
hrhofmann

One way to discourage critters is to put the old stinky mothballs in the space. Critters don't like the smell any more than humans do.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I just had the dog go nuts and try to dislodge the stove. Then I remembered: this is the time of year that little critters tend to move out of their cold, in-ground burrows and try moving in with nice, warm humans. That's my guess based on your description. A critter has moved in. Did you just recently have a severe temperature drop in the area?

Just this weekend I set a peanut butter based trap only to find it all licked away. Then I reset the trap with a pistachio nut glued down with PB. Mice tend to try to take morsels like whole nuts home to the nest (AMHIKAT), so they try to dislodge it and BAM! A very fat little mouse was stuck in the trap on Sunday.

Apparently I had just the one because the dog's no longer got 'rodent insanity' and the other three traps are empty. My bet is you've got a critter and your best bet is a few traps with nuts glued to the treadle with PB. I'd start with a mouse trap and work up through the rat traps and into the Hav-a-hart size. If you've got critters, you'll see the bait gone and maybe even the whole trap gone if it's too small.

As for noise scar-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

How to keep the odor away from humans?

Friend of mine puts mothballs under old cars, to keep mice from chewing the wiring.

.

One way to discourage critters is to put the old stinky mothballs in the space. Critters don't like the smell any more than humans do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

hear, hear, pardon the pun.

from experience, ultrasonic chirper to keep rodents away - WASTE OF MONEY! Hurt MY ears, but still [during one bad infestation] got 12 rats in the victor traps. Yes, I throw away trap and all after spraying the whole thing and area with Raid flea spray.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Very punny.

I though you were one of the Council of Elders. You shouldn't be able to hear anything in the ultrasonic range.

Rats care where food is, all other concerns are secondary, it seems. That damn disco (Tramps, if anyone gives a damn) was empty and dark all day and the usually nocturnal rats mostly kept to themselves until there was a small fire and then they poured out of that building like endless clowns from a clown car. It was like the movie "Willard" where Ernest Borgnine says "Look at all the rats!" when he sees the floor is just one moving sea of rats.

Wasn't quite that bad or as bad as the granaries filled with mice instead of grain that I saw on the Croc Hunter. Apparently in boom grain years, the mouse population in Oz rises beyond what native predators can handle. Once you've seen a grain bin door open and mice come spilling out you realize the how much we take for granted in the first world. No more locust plagues, no cholera, no smallpox. Just a few critters trying to move in with us to keep warm. (-:

The best hint I've heard about trapping indoor rodents is to follow the urine/turd trails and place the traps against the wall. Rodents apparently are thigmatropic - they like to feel their body in contact with the wall when they move. Roaches, too.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Had the same thing in my house and finally traced it to hot water pipes contracting after hot water was used about bed time. Heard the noise after I had gotten into bed and the house was quiet, then the tapping started and went on for half an hour or so. I'll get used to it -- not worth ripping out the wall to see if I can quiet things down.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

as a child we had a WIERD problem, the doorbell would ring at all sorts of odd random times......

I at around 10 years old traced it to the doorbell buttons wire passing near a gas lines hanger......

when the hot water tank turned on the gas line would move a little, and its hanger touch the wire and ring the bell.............

very irritating at 4 am

Reply to
bob haller

I hezr slight hiss then tick tick tick. Always the same (3 ticks)

Reply to
Hockyknees