Thick stone wall (no, not my wife)

Just bought this cottage and i wan't to make a big hole in it to pu

some french doors in. I'm not sure how to approach this job as th wall's are at least 3' thick. I think they're dry and the stones ar made of hard and soft material. Any suggestions would be muc appreciated.

Than

-- JoHNY

Reply to
JoHNY

Just bought this cottage and i wan't to make a big hole in the side o

it, to put some french doors in. I'm not sure how to approach this jo as the wall's are at least 3' thick. I think they're dry and the stone are made of hard and soft material. Any suggestions would be muc appreciated.

Than

-- JoHNY

Reply to
JoHNY

Please help

-- JoHNY

Reply to
JoHNY

Someone named JoHNY Proclaimed on Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:14:49 +0100,

Rent one of these??

It says it can do 24" plunge cuts, so you'd have to cut from both sides to cut 3'. When you do it - videotape it! This I gotta see....

Reply to
G. Morgan

I think we would all need more information.

The major issue here is ending up with a header to carry the load over head once you remove the material in the proposed opening.

How are existing openings carrying their loads?

I would expect that after you consult with a structural engineer, you will need to over demolition the hole, probably with a jack hammer, and re-lay perimeter stone around the opening. How are the windows and doors of the existing structure done?

DanG

No we don't. The OP doesn't know what the walls are made of, what's inside them, or even how to measure them, and is therefore manifestly not competent to be tackling this job by himself.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default