They're not really DTV converters !

=2E Somebody needs to tell this paranoiac OP as follows;

"Just because someone has an irrational fear that someone is out get them doesn't meant that someone ISN'T out to get them"! :-)

Reply to
terry

True. They already do it through monitoring our Internet connections, cell phones, land lines, credit & debit card statements, bank transactions, etc... Why would they need another method?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Especially when they throw in a buncha html crap.

Gawd, why hasn't Webtv died yet?

Reply to
Dave Bugg

  1. Are you saying we should instead buy a much more expensive HDTV to protect our privacy?
  2. Do you sell HDTVs?

  1. Are you in constant contact with the Sputnik Forces, perhaps not willingly?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

On 5/16/2008 1:53 PM Dave Bugg spake thus:

Well, whaddya know, looks like Micro$oft bought it:

I guess old Bill hasn't driven the wooden stake through the heart of the monster yet ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

...Sigh...

Reply to
Dave Bugg

This "wooden stake through the heart" business is pure Hollywood bullshit!

If you read Bram Stoker's book, "Dracula," you find the only way to dispose of a vampire is to drive a BOWIE KNIFE through the creature's heart - not some pissant tent-peg!

I'm in Texas. We have a lot of Bowie knives in this state and virtually no vampire problem.

Reply to
HeyBub

My friend kept a machete and never had a kangaroo problem in the front yard...

Reply to
Sam E

Someone forgot to put on their tin foil hat today and the cosmic rays; No wait it's the UN black helicopters or is it the aliens? I can't keep track.

Reply to
Tom Horne

Hmmm, He forgot to know that he can mod. the box so he can watch what the government is upto watching him, LOL! When I mod. mine they never watched me again!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Bowies are good. I prefer a khukri myself..... good for lopping off heads or sticking through hearts.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Mr Bowie would be proud! The term "multitasking" was not yet coined.

Reply to
Oren

Each area has its own legends, customs, and traditions.

For example, Massachusetts hasn't had a witch problem since 1692.

Reply to
HeyBub

Nobody in Miami, FL is allowed to tie an alligator to a fire hydrant on Sunday. It is law from last century.

Reply to
Oren

my point was that these converters and maybe just plain ol digital equipment could be used selectively to see and hear in the area of the tv or converter. kind like th big brother can watch you if your suspected of something or if some ass gives an anonomous tip to police.

ds549

M'kay.

Ya gotta love them WebTVers. ROTFLOL!!!

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Well just doing a quick search of these boxes, I found 14 different manufacturers of these. That would be a *LOT* of different people involved with manufacturing the boxes.

Now who are these people? Well they are just like you and I. Do you really think that with so many people involved with manufacturing a product like this that the government would be able to include a listening device and no one would alert the media? That they could keep it a secret?

The government keeps secrets by not having very many people involved with a project. Say only 2 manufacturers of something. And many times the secrets leak out anyway.

I'll bet if you search around, you will be able to find schematic wiring diagrams of some of these converter boxes on the internet. Everything in the box electronics there for anyone to see.

Then you have people like me who like to take things apart to see what is inside when I buy it. I know electronics. If I did this and noticed something fishy, I would quickly post a message on the internet commenting on what I found.

Then there are electronic technicians and service people who repair things like this. Not a group of people to keep things secret!

Bottom line, too many people involved for any secret listening devices to be included in this device.

Also each device would need to have a unique number so just that device could be turned on to listen. And "they" would need to know which house had a specific device so "they" could activate the device at that house (and not activate the box at a neighbor's house). Well you can pay cash for one of these boxes and not ever give your name or address. So how would they know what box you had to activate it?

Reply to
Bill

The government might not be the spying entity here (they don't have the needed bandwidth), whereas if you replace "government converter box" with "CABLETV digital converter box", those that have a magnetic recording media card plugged in, well then there is something that is suspect. The CABLETV company has the bandwidth via the fiberoptic cable network and is also able to identify your installation and control what goes in and what comes back out of their converter box at each TV receiver. We should feel safer with the government sponsored converter box compared with what is provided, at a monthly fee, by the CABLETV industry. Only one government converter box is needed per household; simply place it in line with your outdoor TV antenna and feed all household TV receivers that are on the cable line.

Reply to
Vince

Only one government converter box is needed per

That will work just fine as long as all you want to watch is the same channel on every TV.

Don

Reply to
RVer Don

As a matter of fact, two government vouchers per household are now or in the future made available. At my end, there are two people and two (analog tuner) TV receivers.

We are, reluctantly, on CableTV subscription service and recently lost ten channels at one TV due to just one CableTV converter box being provided to us at no cost (at this time) .

I spent some time reading and downloading articles about DTV, etc. this morning. My argument is with the CableTelevision Industry, rather than Big Brother.

I might need to put up a 50 foot tower and go SatTV soon after my main (1986 era) TV receiver finally goes down. It has a problem with its internal analog tuner as well as a HV problem now.

Reply to
Vince