They're GONE !

Page 2 of 2

Bob F wrote:

I wonder how much it would cost to hire a crew for yard work, roofing, filling in some ditches, picking up rocks?
Mysterious Traveler wrote:

About $8-$10/hour plus lunch. Each. And double for the leader?

I don't know if there are guys looking for work at the HD's near me. I never get there early enough.

Have no idea what U R means. Where in this solar system do you live that you don't get the drift of the conversation posted above your one line reply? Which high school did you drop out of?
As per the original poster, Las Vegas has cracked down at SOME of the Home Depots, so it must be a store manager thing. Also, Star Nursery is not as bad as it was. But now, all you have to do is go one block away. I believe they have put a footage limit on them, and they will just go a block down. I think that they can invoke the local anti loitering ordinances in their community by a formal police complaint. Most jurisdictions have such ordinances, but enforce them selectively, as they may run off some of the clientele, as in convenience stores. As long as they are not raising a ruckus and spending money, they look the other way.
Don't know about things in your neck of the woods, but in Vegas, it was getting ridiculous. I was waiting for someone to break out a barbecue and some fresh cabrito and a four piece mariachi band. Musta been a pain with all the trash and biohazard stuff. And I don't mind if they hang out myself, but I really don't like when you and the Missus get out of the truck, and six of them rush you, babbling in Spanish. I was always packing, plus pepper spray.
I have to admit to hiring some of these guys. Mainly because I couldn't find English guys who wanted to work. Except for my two nephews, but they needed their pot break(s). And they were terrible workers. One day, I had to go get them from their car after a half an hour break, and it was a smoke filled scene that I could have sold to Cheech and Chong Productions, Inc. I just told them to go home.
I hire some guys from the Spanish audience at our church. I also put up a sign on the bulletin board for Anglos, but haven't gotten any calls. When I need a couple of guys, I call the Spanish pastor, and even if he has to bring them himself, they are here fifteen minutes early. There is no discussion of wages. They are courteous. They are respectful. (I pay $10 an hour, and I get my money's worth, as most of the work is simple labor.) I give bottled cold water and a home cooked lunch. They give more than what they are paid. They can move two wheelbarrow loads at a time, when I'd poop out or spill the whole thing. When they are paid, they pocket the money, and say nothing except thank you, never losing eye contact, never looking at how much I have paid them. I think I could slip them two dollar bills, and they wouldn't crow. Just thank you. Of course, I'd probably hear about it from the Spanish pastor.
I wish all Hispanics were as hard working as the ones I've used. That is what this country was built upon. Probably like yours and my grandfathers. But then, there are the ones who would rather take the easy road.
And then there are the young crowd, who can't even speak in complete sentences, conjugate a verb, and talk in chatroom acronyms ........

I bet you wouldn't make the day at my house, Bubba.
Steve

Well said. This country was built on the backs of our immigrant grandparents who worked just as hard. And hard work is one of the key ingredients for success.
On 9/23/2009 12:43 PM HeyBub spake thus:

'Round 'heah (S.F East Bay area), no day laborers gather in front of Home Despots that I've noticed. Dunno why not.
Hereabouts they gather, among other places, down the street from Truitt & White in Berkeley, a higher-end lumberyard/home improvement store, where they're well tolerated and frequently picked up for casual labor.