They're GONE !

Day labor centers around here, usually involves ex-cons, part of their work release program. The centers pay insurance, etc. Just give the worker a "pink slip" that he returns to the office.

At one new construction I was working I told my buddy -"that guy was on the stucco company last week". Turns out the guy was a labor pick-up from an HD lot.

Reply to
Oren

Gotta be there more or less at dawn, when the contractors are picking up the material for the day. (the small contractors, without the cash float for an open account at a real supply yard.) Think of it as the grandson of a Union hiring hall.

I've not seen it up north, but I did see it down in Louisiana. I have a M-F day job, so unless I am down south on 'vacation', I'm not making pre-breakfast supply runs.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Any daytime hours here in Seattle.

Reply to
Bob F

Probably 40 guys out there this morning.

Reply to
Bob F

Well said. This country was built on the backs of our immigrant grandparents who worked just as hard. And hard work is one of the key ingredients for success.

Reply to
paulaner

On 9/23/2009 12:43 PM HeyBub spake thus:

'Round 'heah (S.F East Bay area), no day laborers gather in front of Home Despots that I've noticed. Dunno why not.

Hereabouts they gather, among other places, down the street from Truitt & White in Berkeley, a higher-end lumberyard/home improvement store, where they're well tolerated and frequently picked up for casual labor.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl