They're GONE !

There was a notice on the door of my neighborhood Home Depot about a week ago warning the Parking Lot Pedros to vamoose or dreadful things would happen.

Went by there today and I could actually GET into the parking lot without having to dodge anybody. Not a Pancho Bob Villa to be seen!

One of the staff, when asked, told me a couple of police Pablo Wagons, and the message was received.

"Company-wide or just local?" I asked.

"Dunno" said the droid.

Anybody notice anything similar?

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:o6-dnU6-yNbn5yfXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Have no idea what U R writing about.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Me either. Can you resend this in English?

Sorry. Everybody understands what I'm trying to say, that's why it's so necessary to explain.

In my part of the country, literally twenty to fifty "undocumented workers striving for a better life for their families back in the old country" sometimes surround your car as you pull into the HD parking lot. They are applying for any construction or repair job you might have.

In many ways I admire them: They are willing to work hard for reasonable wages. They have enough confidence in their abilities to risk a lot of time and energy to GET to the Home Depot parking lot all the way from Patagonia or wherever.

On the other hand, they sometimes dent the fenders as they bounce off.

Reply to
HeyBub

He's talking about the people typically standing on the walk by the parking lot entries looking for odd jobs. Some of them aren't white.

Funny. I never seen them at Lowes, 2 blocks away, but dozens at H.D.

Reply to
Bob F

UR is University of Rochester, everyone knows that!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

True. Lowe's is a "housewife's hardware store".

In my area the "workers" have moved over to U-Haul stores. Many frequent garden centers and landscape properties. Haven't looked around HD in awhile.

Reply to
Oren

Give me a "border patrol" officer any day over an "immigration" officer. I've seen them both in action, not at the border but in confinement situations.

Reply to
Oren

Have no idea what U R means. Where in this solar system do you live that you don't get the drift of the conversation posted above your one line reply? Which high school did you drop out of?

As per the original poster, Las Vegas has cracked down at SOME of the Home Depots, so it must be a store manager thing. Also, Star Nursery is not as bad as it was. But now, all you have to do is go one block away. I believe they have put a footage limit on them, and they will just go a block down. I think that they can invoke the local anti loitering ordinances in their community by a formal police complaint. Most jurisdictions have such ordinances, but enforce them selectively, as they may run off some of the clientele, as in convenience stores. As long as they are not raising a ruckus and spending money, they look the other way.

Don't know about things in your neck of the woods, but in Vegas, it was getting ridiculous. I was waiting for someone to break out a barbecue and some fresh cabrito and a four piece mariachi band. Musta been a pain with all the trash and biohazard stuff. And I don't mind if they hang out myself, but I really don't like when you and the Missus get out of the truck, and six of them rush you, babbling in Spanish. I was always packing, plus pepper spray.

I have to admit to hiring some of these guys. Mainly because I couldn't find English guys who wanted to work. Except for my two nephews, but they needed their pot break(s). And they were terrible workers. One day, I had to go get them from their car after a half an hour break, and it was a smoke filled scene that I could have sold to Cheech and Chong Productions, Inc. I just told them to go home.

I hire some guys from the Spanish audience at our church. I also put up a sign on the bulletin board for Anglos, but haven't gotten any calls. When I need a couple of guys, I call the Spanish pastor, and even if he has to bring them himself, they are here fifteen minutes early. There is no discussion of wages. They are courteous. They are respectful. (I pay $10 an hour, and I get my money's worth, as most of the work is simple labor.) I give bottled cold water and a home cooked lunch. They give more than what they are paid. They can move two wheelbarrow loads at a time, when I'd poop out or spill the whole thing. When they are paid, they pocket the money, and say nothing except thank you, never losing eye contact, never looking at how much I have paid them. I think I could slip them two dollar bills, and they wouldn't crow. Just thank you. Of course, I'd probably hear about it from the Spanish pastor.

I wish all Hispanics were as hard working as the ones I've used. That is what this country was built upon. Probably like yours and my grandfathers. But then, there are the ones who would rather take the easy road.

And then there are the young crowd, who can't even speak in complete sentences, conjugate a verb, and talk in chatroom acronyms ........

I bet you wouldn't make the day at my house, Bubba.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Oren, you still in Sin City?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I never see them in the lot. Always on the sidewalk near the entrance.

Reply to
Bob F

Yes, and my neck is above water. Not by much, though. :-))

Reply to
Oren

I wonder how much it would cost to hire a crew for yard work, roofing, filling in some ditches, picking up rocks?

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

I don't know if there are guys looking for work at the HD's near me. I never get there early enough.

Reply to
mm

I never saw anyone, white, black, or other, hanging around my HD looking for work.

Reply to
willshak

About $8-$10/hour plus lunch. Each. And double for the leader?

Reply to
HeyBub

In this area there are official day labor centers, so I've never seen anyone hanging around the HD or Lowe's either.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've never seen such a thing either. I don't know many people who actually want to work in the KC area. Especially teenagers.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Me neither.

But if I did, I wouldn't refer to them as Parking Lot Pedros or Pancho Bob Villa.

And "Pablo Wagons"? Hmmm...my PD doesn't have Pablo Wagons. Must be a special order item.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d21g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

Absolutely not! That would be outright slander. The lot people are knowledgeable, skilled and willing to work.

Reply to
Red Green