They're GONE !

Page 1 of 2

There was a notice on the door of my neighborhood Home Depot about a week ago warning the Parking Lot Pedros to vamoose or dreadful things would happen.
Went by there today and I could actually GET into the parking lot without having to dodge anybody. Not a Pancho Bob Villa to be seen!
One of the staff, when asked, told me a couple of police Pablo Wagons, and the message was received.
"Company-wide or just local?" I asked.
"Dunno" said the droid.
Anybody notice anything similar?

Have no idea what U R writing about.
RobertPatrick wrote:

Me either. Can you resend this in English?
UR is University of Rochester, everyone knows that!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
RobertPatrick wrote:

Sorry. Everybody understands what I'm trying to say, that's why it's so necessary to explain.
In my part of the country, literally twenty to fifty "undocumented workers striving for a better life for their families back in the old country" sometimes surround your car as you pull into the HD parking lot. They are applying for any construction or repair job you might have.
In many ways I admire them: They are willing to work hard for reasonable wages. They have enough confidence in their abilities to risk a lot of time and energy to GET to the Home Depot parking lot all the way from Patagonia or wherever.
On the other hand, they sometimes dent the fenders as they bounce off.
HeyBub wrote:

I never see them in the lot. Always on the sidewalk near the entrance.
on 9/23/2009 5:10 PM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:

I never saw anyone, white, black, or other, hanging around my HD looking for work.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

In this area there are official day labor centers, so I've never seen anyone hanging around the HD or Lowe's either.

Day labor centers around here, usually involves ex-cons, part of their work release program. The centers pay insurance, etc. Just give the worker a "pink slip" that he returns to the office.
At one new construction I was working I told my buddy -"that guy was on the stucco company last week". Turns out the guy was a labor pick-up from an HD lot.

Me neither.
But if I did, I wouldn't refer to them as Parking Lot Pedros or Pancho Bob Villa.
And "Pablo Wagons"? Hmmm...my PD doesn't have Pablo Wagons. Must be a special order item.

Absolutely not! That would be outright slander. The lot people are knowledgeable, skilled and willing to work.
willshak wrote:

the material for the day. (the small contractors, without the cash float for an open account at a real supply yard.) Think of it as the grandson of a Union hiring hall.
I've not seen it up north, but I did see it down in Louisiana. I have a M-F day job, so unless I am down south on 'vacation', I'm not making pre-breakfast supply runs.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Any daytime hours here in Seattle.
Bob F wrote:

Probably 40 guys out there this morning.
HeyBub wrote:

actually want to work in the KC area. Especially teenagers.
RobertPatrick wrote:

He's talking about the people typically standing on the walk by the parking lot entries looking for odd jobs. Some of them aren't white.
Funny. I never seen them at Lowes, 2 blocks away, but dozens at H.D.

True. Lowe's is a "housewife's hardware store".
In my area the "workers" have moved over to U-Haul stores. Many frequent garden centers and landscape properties. Haven't looked around HD in awhile.

Give me a "border patrol" officer any day over an "immigration" officer. I've seen them both in action, not at the border but in confinement situations.

Oren, you still in Sin City?
Steve

Yes, and my neck is above water. Not by much, though. :-))